Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Purchasing 1st bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by porknbeans, Jul 12, 2005.

1. porknbeans

porknbeans

Jul 12, 2005
    I've been playing the drums for almost 5 years now and i've picked up some guitar stuff. Although, my passion is with drums i've always wanted to learn bass. I'm on a very tight budget $200-300. I've been reading and learning about the J basses and P basses, and the different types of wood ect. I would like some suggestions on which bass to buy. I would like to stay away from squire if i can because of the bad things i hear about them here in TB(them falling apart?). I've been looking at the Peavey Millinium BXP 5-string. Anyone heard good or bad things about this? Or used it? Anything is appreciated.

2. porknbeans

porknbeans

Jul 12, 2005
    i forgot to add. I don't want to limit my self to one style of music. I really like slap also.

3. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I'd check out the ESP-LTD basses...the lower end ones are inexpensive, but they actually play nicely for the price.

And I wouldn't dismiss Squire so quickly...for sure, they aren't top quality, but they get dissed alot unfairly because they are "fender lite". Some people actually like them quite a bit.

For your first bass, with only $200-$300 budget, I wouldn't get overly picky about it. You have to play bass for a while to know what you want, and what suits your style. Along this line, I think a Squire isn't a bad option. But check out the ESP as well.

And ignore those people who will always respond "save a bit more and buy xxxx". You have to play for a while to know what suits you. Don't delay...just go out and buy, and start experiencing. No matter what you buy now, if its less that $400 you'll want to buy a new one in a year or so anyways.

4. TheNerdBass

TheNerdBass

Jun 30, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    SX? Cheap and good! Rondomusic.net

5. Shakey

Shakey Vote for Pedro!!

Apr 12, 2005
    Roanoke, Va
    I agree with Nanny. I purchased a Squier as my 1st starter and I have no regrets. It will give you a chance to get familiar with your particular needs, likes, and dislikes. And that is priceless.

If you save up and buy something more expensive. There is a good chance that you are going to spend more money for something that you do not have the knowledge or experience to fully appreciate. In the end it is most likely that you will have purchased something that doesn't fit you.

If you buy something more within your immediate means, you will get more for your money in the long run.

Just my $.02.