1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Purchasing a bass in usa, online or music store? Advice for a foreigner

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by unohoo, Jan 19, 2012.

1. unohoo

unohoo

Jan 19, 2012
    Hi guys

I'm not sure whether this is the right topic under which to place this, but here it is..

I will be travelling to america soon for work, where I will be spending 5 days in kentucky (mostly small mining towns) and
    2-3 days in Florida. I will also be in atlanta for half a day or so.

I want to purchase a bass guitar while in the US, as they seem to be quite a lot cheaper there than in my country (south africa). I'm still very much a beginner (have played guitar for several years) so I'm not quite sure what to buy yet. Price range between $200-$400, was thinking maybe a epiphone SG.

My question is, would I (in general) find a better deal online compared to a music store? As I've never been to any of these places, I have no idea where to go looking in the limited time I have. The online option thus seems more attractive, if i can have the guitar delivered in time.

Sooo basically I am just seeking advice from some americans, what do you figure would be the best thing to do? Any suggestions for shops
    or specific guitars? I am considering 2nd hand as well.

Thanks for the help