Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Purchasing a bass tomorrow and still lost

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pharasoth, Dec 7, 2004.

1. pharasoth

pharasoth

Nov 27, 2004
    My dad's bringing up to Dave Phillips Music and sound tomorrow and I'm pretty much lost as to what I want.. I already tried out a few brands.. Definitely don't want a fender.. they sound so bland. My price range is anything around 500 give or take.. I know nothing about bass sound having only played a vintage cort that sounds like death

This is the list of basses this store carries:
    Epiphone ???
    ESP Ltd. Basses look a little too extravagant
    Fender **** no
    Gibson ????
    Ibanez I tried out the SR400, sounded good but how would it behave in a rock setting?
    Jackson ???
    J. Turser Wha?
    Music Man Meh.. expensive
    Peavey Quality so I hear.. Hows the tone
    PRS Never Heard of them
    Schecter Decent from what I hear
    Silvertone Never heard of them
    Squier **** no
    Yamaha **** no

So, please convince me on a bass thats gonna stick with me and make me happy with its beautiful sounds out of the brands above.. I play fast rock and funk... sometimes both at once. So, with that said, PLEASE HELP

PS.. What kind of sound do Barts have? I was captivated by the Ibanez sr500 but didnt get a chance to play it

2. Personally, I think Fenders sound anything but bland, but whatever floats your boat I guess. Bartolinis usually sound good, but there are varying levels of quality with them. Barts in a 500$ bass may not be the same as Barts in a 3000$ bass. I'd suggest a Schecter from that list. I've played a few and they're pretty solid. Ibanez makes some great basses, but some of the ones I've played weren't anything special. In the end, though, just get something with a sound you like and that feels best. A good player can make any bass sound good, and a good amp should do the same. Get a bass that feels good to you and that you like hearing.

3. How can you write off Yamaha?

In terms of a cost to quality ratio, yamaha is great.
    Personally, my choice would be either Yamaha or a Fender Jazz, but it comes down to what bass feels right in your hands and sounds the way you want it to.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That store kinda has a suckass collection.

5. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Lots of stores seem to have a poor selection of basses, like the one he's speaking of, unfortunately. :( At least that's how they are around here.

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Play absolutely everything they have in your price range, and see what sounds/feels the best to you. Don't rule anything out until you have played it and found that you don't like it for whatever reasons.

7. I wondered the same thing...

They are nice basses, I don't own one, but they are nice.

8. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas

+1

Good advice there. Also, check out the construction, fit and finish. Look down the neck from either the bridge or headstock to make sure there's no excessive bowing or warping. Check the frets to make sure they're dressed correctly with no sharp edges and make sure they're seated nicely. With the bass plugged in, rotate the pots to make sure they turn smoothly with no scratchy noises. If these areas are addressed, the rest of the bass will probably be ok.

9. picknslap

picknslap

Sep 9, 2004
    Manteca
    In my experience, ESP ltd. makes awesome basses. I have tried a few Schecters, but I hated the feel of the neck. my first bass was an Ibanez SR800, I love that thing.

Have you looked at anything used? I found my used MM Sterling, for 200 bucks, needless to say, I'm in love.

10. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    pharasoth , which dave philips? The one in Philipsburg is in a 3% tax zone..so there's a little bit of savings there. I've bought a few things there, and Bob has done good by me. They have some used stuff as well, don't overlook that. Sorry I can't give you more advice...I'm a fenderholic myself.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Don't look at the names, don't look at the basses. Just grab anything in your price range and thump away. You'll find one that really fits your hand like a glove and sounds good to your ears.

12. If you still don't know...don't buy...

go and try...but don't buy Not until you are better armed with information.

13. If you're going up bethlehem ways check out Guitar Villa. They've always done me right.

14. pharasoth

pharasoth

Nov 27, 2004
    Dave Phillips in Phillipsburg..
    The ibanez necks felt so smooth to me even though i have large hands
    soo we'll see i guess, hopefully ill come home tonight having chosen the perfect bass :) Thanks for everyones advice

15. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yeah...and don't rule out a P bass. :D

16. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    What fender di you try?
    I hear people say the quality on fenders varies alot from bass to bass, maybe you got a stinky one?

17. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    well, heres a possible scenario. you will get in there, blow off the brands you dont care for, and go for the cool basses. you will prolly choose the one that looks/feels/cost best for you and thats that. the only problem with that is that you will be ignoring brands that you think "suck".

i did the same thing. i ended up buying and trading a bunch of cool basses looking for "the right bass" (4 ibanezs, yamaha, G&L all good basses, and all i wish i still had). and also hated fender. after about 6 basses over 5 musicstores (in a 4 month period), a salesman/bass player (marcus morgan@larry morgan music/ garland texas) finally asked me what tone/feel i was looking for. after trying to describe it, and failing miserably doing so, he got very REAL with me and gave me the best piece of advice. he told me that i DID NOT know what sound or feel i was looking for, because i had not been playing long enough, and was substituting better basses for lack of playing ability.

he handed me a MIM fender jazz off the wall, and said "play this for several monthes solid, and then you will have a better understanding of what you are looking for."..sort of a 'baseline' to compare to..."when you can outplay this bass, then it might be time to move on".

Caveats: the fender was the 2nd cheapest bass in his store. i could afford a bass 3 times that cost, and he knew it. he is (was) an alembic and modulus player.

5 years later, i still have that bass, and it is one of two fenders i use onstage (the other one is an active frankenfender that i found in a pawnshop, and liked the feel of the neck).

one day i may upgrade to a read custom j, but i will never get rid of my 'baseline'.

18. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    You need to play all of them. Don't buy with your eyes or by brand names. Buy what feels, plays and sounds good to you.

I don't particularly like all of those basses, but each has it's ups and downs. Yamaha is a great bass. Good quality and nice playability - at least mine is. :)

19. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    "please convince me on a bass thats gonna stick with me and make me happy with its beautiful sounds out of the brands above"

You are limited to a list you don't really like, and trying to rush a decision by tomorrow.

Hate to break it to you, but I doubt it will all happen. You could get a nice bass in the meantime, but anytime you rush a decision that you don't feel comfy with, it will bite you in the ass.

Seeing as how you don't even have a recommendation from yourself on all of those. Personally, I would try to find a used MTD Heir, Lakland 55-01, or Elrick Josh Paul.