Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Purchasing a Lakland Skyline!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funk_engineer, Apr 10, 2005.

1. I played a Lakland Skyline 44-01 the other day, and now I'm hooked. I'm considering a 55-01, too, but I haven't had a chance to play one. What's the string spacing on their five-strings like, compared to Fender 5's?

Also, the store I'll probably buy at doesn't have many in stock, so I'd have to order one. If I did order one or purchase online, are Skylines pretty consistent from bass to bass?

Throw in any other comments you have on Skylines, too...the only thing is I'm probably sticking with the 44-01 or the 55-01; I don't know if I want to or can spend several hundred dollars more on the 02 models.

2. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Skylines are great, I'm gonna drop the $$ on a 55-02 hopefully soon :)

:bassist:

woo!

3. Sane

Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    If you like wide spacing 3/4" string spacing at the bridge I believe, my entire finger can fit in there without touching either string. You will not be let down by a Lakland.

4. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    congrats

5. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    He speaketh the truth.

I couldn't find any 55-02's near here so I had to order mine and it's just fantastic. Order from a well known dealer or a private seller you trust and you should be quite happy with what you get.

Also, I was originally planning on a 55-01 based on price but I'm glad I talked myself into going for the 55-02. If you really can't spend the extra money for a new 55-02, maybe you could look for a used one.

6. Wide spacing is nice. Is the neck on the 5-strings pretty thick, then?

Yeah, if I did go for a 55-02, it couldn't be new...it seems I'm turning responsible these days and I'd like to have a little bit of money set aside to start myself off when I eventually graduate college. :)

But, just so I know, what kind of sounds can the 55-02 do that the 55-01 can't? (The closest dealer to me only has a 44-01 in stock currently).

7. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    First, they're EXTREMELY consistent, because they're ALL finished out at the USA shop.

Also, the only thing you might consider is only the 5 string Skylines have the graphite bars in the necks. I'm not sure if it makes a noticeable diff not having it in the 4, but it's a "freebie" in the 5, and I guarantee it doesn't hurt.

On the 02's, depends on if you want that tone. The only way to get that tone is either get an 02 or a 94. I can't afford a 94, so I got an 02. I totally love it. The reason they're so much more expensive is not because they're so much nicer per se, it's simply because there's more USA labor involved and more expensive elex that go in. However, they are very different basses. I've played both. The 01 was a great bass, but the 02 is just what I wanted. If you dig the 01 tone, go for it. You won't regret it.

8. Sane

Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    Responsible? Bah whats more responsible then building credit:) Gard took my income tax check then put the rest on a visa:)

9. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    My two cents:

I shouldn't buy the 55.02. It sounds great when practising at home ar alone, but in a band it just doesn't have any cut-through due to the Bartolini's which are installed. The 44.01 (or 55.01) is a better choice, just because of that. And it's cheaper too...

I owned a 55.02, but sold it after a few months. It lacks the bite and punch, which a decent bass needs. Sorry for this input, but after a few months playing it more than once a week in a band setting it disappointed me. Don't be fooled of the fact is is the 'less cheap, thus better' version of the 55.01. It is a total difference which is given due to the other choice.... and you are going to hear that. Believe me.

A Darryl Jones 4 or 5-string would be a far better choice when talking about a jazz bass. Serious funk in there!

10. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    I agree, somewhat. the 44-01 is a much better choice for ME because I like very aggressive basses. That's not true for everyone though.

11. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Well yeah.. off course one has to like it by person, but in a band it's difficult to cut-through in a band with a bit of bridgetone.... the MM pup isn't too hard when set to serial, but I sold it and am a very happy man now.

12. john flipcycle

john flipcycle

Oct 13, 2004
    Reading UK
    Partner, The Strat Shack www.thestratshack.co.uk
    Ive just recieved a lakland skyline DJ5 string from steve barr. Living in england it cost me literally half as much to get one imported from the states. I love the bass, best setup from the box of any new bass so far. If the shop can offer you a good deal and you are confident of the service should you have any problems then buy locally. If not then I REALLY recomend steve. http://p096.ezboard.com/bthedudepit

He has a great reputation of sorting out problems when they do sometimes unfortunately occur, to me this is much more important than price, speed of delivery etc. Saying that he is bloody good on those too!

Every skyline Ive played has had no issues, deadspots, flaws etc. The Chicago setup makes all the differance from other Korean made basses IMHO. After recieving this one I can clearly see why the pro user list is so extensive and growing. Great Basses.

13. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    I've owned a 55-01 for almost 2 years now; I just love that bass. Action to die for and tone out the wazoo, all at a killer price. Talk with Gard Bro!

14. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Oh, I agree with you. Completely. I'm just pointing out that not everyone's going to.

15. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    I just got my 55-01 last week (Deluxe version with the quilted maple in tobacco sunburst and a rosewood board). The difference is that I've got the U.S. Barts and preamp. Regarding what I've read on this post, I've yet to find a tone I can't get out of this bass. I'm getting bridge pickup honk like a Jazz, round thumpy Precision sounds, bright modern funk, gritty retro grind, and (using my SansAmp) face melting roar. Tonally, it's very versitle.

I'm still getting used to the spacing. But it is a wonderful bass. With the exception of my '71 Precision, the finest bass I've ever owned.

Fo'

16. Sane

Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    :eek: Ya sure the SD or the 01 has more output, mind you a bit of Eq never hurt anyone, but to say that a decent bass needs a powerfull bite and punch is a strong statement. Now I play my 02 in a Metal setting... 2 overly distorted guitars forever power chording with peavey tube amps... Not to say I stick out like Geddy... but I sit in the mix just as well. Im not burried at all. Believe it or not Im actually told I need to tone it down a bit in the agressive department. This being said I ushally play around over the "MM" pickup with heavy mid "eq". Just my .02 And with that im done with the speaking up on the Barts...

17. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1

I also have a 55-02 with stock barts and have NEVER had any kind of a problem cutting thru any mix... especially when soloing the MM pickup.

My $.02 as well. :)

18. Don't worry about the Bart's not being able to cut through. My 55-02 has no trouble standing out in a loud band.

19. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Sorry guys, I was a bit too fast... must have been the weather.

Let me say the following.... it could use a bit more punch and power, especially when using the single coils of the MM pickup or mixed with the neckpup. The serial mode of the MM pup will never let you down, but hence I'm hardly playing with that one (in metal it is a very good choice imho) because I'm playing some funk and jazz it has been my experience (with my ears and my gear ;) ) that it didn't cut-trough very well. Off course everyone is allowed to have other findings.

(respect btw... everything is personal what we write down over here)

20. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Great basses. I'm about to sell my 55-01 cherryburst with Lakland case if you're interested. Need to pay for my new PA. PM if interested.