Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Purchasing dilema

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yogi Bear, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    I'm contemplating the possibility of trading in my Fender Hot Rod P-Bass plus $200.00 for a brand new Ibanez BTB1005E (has the Bartolini p/up's and pre-amp). Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks

2. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    hmmmm... if you are after the BTB, then that is probably a pretty good trade, value-wise... I personally would rather have the hot rod p bass!

P@

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've played a few of those Ibanez's & I really liked them. The only thing I really didn't like was the body was SOO big that it was uncomfortable for me to play.

I'd go for the trade.

4. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Oddly enough, there was a pretty nice looking BTB marked down at the BIG(?) Green Tag sale at GC, last week-end. They had $407 on it marked down from a list of $1299.

I fooled around with it for a few minutes but...

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I'd definitely keep the Fender.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm with P@ myself. Exactly how decked-out is your P-bass?

7. The hot-rodded P is the one with the split P pickup and the Jazz pickup at the bridge, right?

I'd keep it. They discontinued them last year, I think, and I'm not sure how many of them are actually out there. Seems like a nice, versatile bass to have in your arsenal.

8. I'd trade it inmediately.. I have no problem with the dimensions and weight of the BTB and besides, I'm not really a fan of P basses.

9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    you own a kickin F bass and there is NO NEED for a BTB??:D
    sorry- id probably keep the Fender-

10. Yogi Bear

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    Thanks for all the responses, but I've got some good news.... I was able to scrape together enough dough to purchase the Ibanez without having to trade in my Fender. It should be arriving within the next couple of days. As for the fate of the Fender, I really dont't know. It may be going as part of a package deal with my SVT3 Pro to purchase an Eden/SWR/EA rig. I'm revamping my curernt set-up. I'm looking to keep one fretted bass and my Rick 4001 fretless and get a smaller amp/combo/who knows.

As for the Ibanez. I know it's a mahogany/maple body and is one heavy sucker but hey I'm a glutton for punishment. Here is a picture of the bass from the Ibanez site.

11. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    that Ibanez is a very nice bass... and I love the string spacing on the BTBs... very cool! I had a 405 for a while, and was really disappointed with the sound once I got my lakland 55-01 with the upgraded preamp. I had a lot of plans to upgrade the preamp and pickups on my 405, but we all know what happens to plans! What does the hot rod p bass look like?

P@

12. Yogi Bear

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    The P is an orange burst with a rosewood neck and tortise shell pick guard. Funny enough I was considering a 55-02 when looking at the Ibanez but never had the chance to play one.

13. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I really like the orange burst hot rods... sounds like pretty nice bass you got there Farley! If you have the means, I would love to see pics of it! I always wanted a hot rod, jut never stumbled on on to one at the right time! I am also looking for a 55-02, but that is probably sometime around feb, hey, that could be a bday present to myself! :D

P@

14. ram936

ram936

May 29, 2002
    Massillon, Ohio
    I love the P-bass sound, got a fretted 4 P-lyte myself, but I must say that BTB sure is a beauty!

15. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Ain't that just the truth!;) The BN5 raises the bar to a new level.

16. I've never been an Ibanez fan.

I've never been much of a Fender fan either but after playing a few, they've grown on me

Keep your Fender.