Purchasing from Warmoth.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KrazzyJoe, Aug 16, 2003.

1. KrazzyJoe

Jul 31, 2003
    Can anyone tell me how purchasing from Warmoth works? I am new to this and don't know how everything works. What do/can you get from them? How is there quality? Do you build the bass? Blah, just give me a run-through if you could.

2. iam pretty sure u have to put it togarther. u dont have to worry about there products, i have never heard any thing bad about them.

What do/can you get from them

look on there site they tell u pretty much wat they will do.
  3. KrazzyJoe

Jul 31, 2003
    Yeah, I've already looked and have an idea of what I wan't. My real concern is how to go about doing this, I'm not good at soldering, so what do you think of electronics...I don't know, I'm just completely in the dark here.
  4. Well, my advice is that you souldn't mess with warmoth unless you know what you're doing. If you're not very handy with woodworking and soldering you should stay away from it. You'll be risking to scrap a great amount of cash if you mess-up something.
  5. KrazzyJoe

Jul 31, 2003
    I'd like to learn, anyway I could start with something cheap? Just upgrade one of my cheaper basses or something?
  6. why would u have to worry about wood working, all u would need to do is bolt the neck on. soldering, it can get kinda of confuseing, worse thing that would happen is u would need to buy another pot.

"My real concern is how to go about doing this,do u mean ordering,just call them up." putiing it togarther is pretty easy. if u dont have them put a finsh on then its hard. mainly all u got todo is bolt the neck on, install the bridge,tunners, and wire the pickups up. i mite bewroung. ibelive u mite need to get the fretboard dressed. the hardist thing is soldering the eltronics if u dont feel like u are up to that bring it to a guitare shop that will do the work. and ask if u can watch.
  7. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I bought a Warmoth P-bass neck (Maple with Ebony board, Abalone dot inlays) about 13 years ago.

It's still in solid shape, it's quite worn from the years of use. I never put a finish on it. A finsih of some sort should be applied. Actually I think Warmoth will not warranty a neck thats not finished. But anyway the neck is built to last.
    No warpage, no dead-spots, no manufacturing defects. +13 years and still going.
  8. as long as the gecko isn't on your fretboard........I think everyone will be happy......lol
  9. citizen

Jan 24, 2003
    Why do you say that?

Gecko s necks seem to be as good as other warmoth necks!
  10. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    From my experience, Warmoth makes a very good product. I bought a used Warmoth J style bass a while back that was turned into a 6 string from one of their original ultra-wide 5 string necks. The neck is a 5 piece laminate of maple with 2 Koa or Mahogany stripes, and a really nice, dark, dense and oily piece of old rosewood fingerboard, with two truss rods. The neck is so stable it hardly budges at all even when I have tuned it down a half step and left it there for a few weeks (I was doing some work for local band that tuned down 1/2 step). The things feels very, very close to my old `71 p-bass. Very Fender-ish.

My only "complaints" Warmoth are that some of the figured maple tops I have seen (several quilt tops including the bass I mentioned above) really don't have a lot of figuring in them.

Also, my own personal opinion is that they are a bit pricey for their finishing options. They do an excellent job of finishing, however, truly excellent work, just a bit more than I would charge.

All in all, I would say that their products and materials are excellent, top quality stuff. I think the Gecko's are a really nice 5 string that you should consider if you're in the market for a 5'er.

Lastly, not a ding against Warmoth as it is not their product, but I find the Kahler bass bridge to be extremely difficult to set the intonation on. The bridge saddle is one piece with the string anchor, therefore forcing you to de-tune the string, taking all tension off of it, loosening two small allen keys, and then manually moving the bridge saddle, being very careful not to mess up the side to side adjustment, then having to bring the string back up to pitch to check the intonation. This is extremely frustrating, time intensive work and I charge extra for setups involving the Kahler bridge. It is a solid, well made bridge, I just really don't like the procedure involved with setting the intonation.

11. Woodworking skills aren't necessary, but they sure are nice. I had Nino-Brown help me on mine, and Im extremely thankful he did. It definitely takes skill to put a warmoth together, even if that skill is only being able to drill competently.

The actual hardest part of the bass from my perspective was not finishing it (which I did myself, cost me about 100), but was cutting the nut. Wiring up an aguilar OBP-3 is a pain, but nothing even close to finishing or cutting the nut.

"All you would have to do is bolt the neck on"- sure, after you drill holes into that nice piece of maple (or whatever other wood) that line up perfectly and are at the right depth. it's not hard, but it's plenty easy to rush and make a mistake, especially if it;s your first time doig it. Thank the lord for Nino- Brown, who knows what I woulda done drilling the neck, the screw holes for the tuning machines, shielding and everything else.

This is not a simple project, but the most fun and best learning experience I've ever had relating to bass. A little more than "bolting the neck on."

Here is a link showing the work throughout my baby's younger years.

One last thing, know exactly what you need and what to order, and be prepared to have the warmoth site open to help yourself and them out.
  12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses

:D :p
  13. ha, if thats insulting to you Nino, imagine what that says about me, needing you to show me everything! :p

I figured you'd show up to exclaim the wonder's of building a warmoth bass.

Just do a search for Nino Brown and warmoth... It'll turn up quite a poop-load of stuff. His gecko kicked ass, and Im dyin to play his new "Red Geddy" bass.
  14. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I have been itching to build a Warmoth project bass, but have been really wary about turning expensive wood into scrap wood. So, I looked around and found a good way to learn: Saga guitar kits. I got a P-Bass kit off of E-Bay for about $90. Now, these guitars and basses use very cheap components, but there is no better way to learn the luthier's trade. Check it out!
  15. bwbass

May 6, 2002
    One thing to add that makes setup a bit easier these days - we are now able to offer pre-cut corian nuts installed on our necks for $15. Each one is individually CNC-machined to the specs of each neck, so we take into account the size of fretwire, exact fingerboard thickness/slot depth, etc.

As usual this is not on our site yet, but we're working on that.
  16. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Gosh, I wish that I'd known that when I ordered my neck.

Hey Brian, is there ever a plan to offer diamondwood boards as a neck option?
  17. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Yeah, tell me about it. WHen cutting the nut for the red Jazz I just completed, ti didn't come out as good as I wanted. The open G is buzzing a little & I make it slightly too short. Not a huge deal but I just bought a pre-cut nut from Ebay (Bass Parts Resoruce).

18. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    I've been wanting to do a warmoth project for some time and one thing has stopped me; the lack of 35" scale necks (excluding Gekko). When I inquired re: avalibility I was told that you guys get more requests for short scale necks( I find that hard to believe in this era of detuned 5,6,7 string basses.) I'm a fan of what I see on the site but I'm not buying another 34" 5 string. Any plans I should know about?
  19. bwbass

May 6, 2002
    No diamondwood in our forseeable future - we don't get much call for it.

The 35" scale thing is more about keeping the separation of the Gecko line as a modern high-tech instrument and the deluxe 5 as more of a vintage-style instument. Also, to make a 35" scale with a Fender head, it would have to have something like 23 frets, wouldn't fit in a standard case, etc. The shorter-scale bass in the works is a replacement neck and body for the elusive 32" scale Fender basses. Making parts that fit Fenders allows us to use the Fender headstock under our licensing agreement.
  20. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    Thanks for the reply Brian,
    While I understand the product placement issues you mentioned regarding the gecko, the whole reason I want to pursue doing this bass is too create a hybrid of sorts. A 5 string with classic styling and modern features( not the least of which is a B string I can actually hear!!). With the multitude of hardware and electronics packages avalible it is do-able. With the help of my friends @ warmoth. By the way, I already have an oversized gig bag to put it in. That sounds like another revenue stream to me.....