Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Purchasing my first bass, need some advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by canary, Jul 8, 2004.

1. canary

canary

Jun 1, 2004
    hi, i can all ready play the bass sufficiantly well and am not looking to buy a starter guitar. I have looked at the Fender P-Bass and J-Bass and decided the J was better. There is also the American Jazz bass,

but do you think it is worth paying that amount of money when i am only starting?

Is it better in the long term? buying an expensive good quality bass instead of having to upgrade?

or will there be a risk of if i get bored of playing it?

and finally, would i be able to sell it off for the same price?
    This is quite similar to my other thread on the American Jazz bass but i wanted your opinion on the Financial side of it aswel.

2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Try not to start fifty threads in two days, be patient. Second, buy a used American jazz, you won't lose anything on the resale if you decide you don't like it later plus it plays and sounds great. If it's beat up so what? If you buy something for full price and you don't like it you're gonna lose your butt in resale so buy used. And yes, American Jazzes are usually well worth the extra dough in my opinion.

3. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    The better the instrument the easier to play, USA fender or a Mexico Fender will do just fine. And going used is a great idea.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

DO NOT buy what the salesperson is trying to ram down your throat. These guys often have sales incentives where they make bigger commissions on certain brands/models. Guitar Centers and the "deals" at Musicians Friend are the kind of stores I'm talking about.

My suggestion - send an email or private Talkbass message to Gard who is a fine member here at Talkbass. Gard works at one of the top 2 bass gear stores in the USA. He won't steer you wrong. Most of the gear they handle is the expensive stuff, but he is an expert on basses and bass amps and he can make great reco's for you, even though his store may not offer them.

He's as nice a guy as you could ever meet and probably won't mind you asking. After all, someday, you'e going to probably want a really nice bass/amp and he'll get your business.

I would refer you to two other fine dealers, Steve "Dude" Barr and Adrian Garcia, but they are really into the higher end market, from what I know.

5. krazy_olie

krazy_olie

May 10, 2004
    Getting an american fender as a first bass is expensive, even if it is used. If you got that sort of money go for it, you could try the ibanez gsr200 , bin using it and playing bass for a year now and i can tell you it beats all the beginner basses, since i've had the action reajusted it plays really nice and the thin neck is great for beginners. But you could probably get a used mexican jazz for that price, it's up to you.

6. I'd go with a nice mexican jazz the newer models are very good basses an american might be a bit expensive but with a new mim you can be set for a couple years easily.

7. If you've got the money, buying a higher-end bass is a great idea. If you don't have the money, then go along with the MIM Fender Jazz. You're wasting money if you get a starter bass, and I think you know this.

There's nothing worse than being a decent/competent bassist, and you gotta POS with training wheels on it. I have an el cheapo Ibanez, and I kinda "grew out" of it. I've gotten to where I don't like thin, flimsy necks, and I'd rather play a Louisville Slugger instead.

8. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    my two cents....find a good treacher and study really hard.
    Gear dont make the chops. A used P bass will fit the bill. Fenders have QC that is all over the map IMO so play alot of different ones before making a choice. I was all set to buy an American made Fender but ended up with a MIM. Oh and welcome to the world of the lowend. We groove so they dont have to.... :bassist:

9. canary

canary

Jun 1, 2004
    Is it not too ambitious to start off with that sort of bass, i would have thought that only the real pro`s would use them.

I apologise for making too many threads but i am getting very near to my first purchase and its a lot of money. I don`t want to blow it so i need to know things before i buy. If you understand me

10. I would suggest that you get a high quality used American instrument (like a Jazz Bass) if you can. If you buy a new one, they depreciate very quickly...like 25% as soon as you walk out of the store. I have 4 basses, 3 were purchased used, 2 American, 1 Japanese (the "new one" was an inexpensive P-Bass clone) and I have a total of less than $1,400 invested in all 4! If you are patient, you can find excellent instruments and not pay an arm and a leg.

11. Firstly, don't get sucked into the fender J or P basses, don't get me rong, im not bagging them, dont do the cliche`... my advice is to go to your local shop, figure out a price range, then play almost every bass in ur range, some more expensive and some cheaper. Then hunt around for one second hand unless you get a killer price. Be patient, you'll enjoy playing ur bass more once you have really worked and earnt it. But, if ur afraid of gettin sick of it, you can't really go rong with the midrange peavey line like a milestone3 and microbass... Its what i just upgraded from, simple and quality gear. Sure its basic but its alot better then some of the really cheap **** out there. Be patient and stalk them axes ;)

Peace,
    Chips :bassist:

12. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    i have been wanting a fender j for a while now but i'm a bit reluctant( i love that 'rubber-band' sound). i've played a couple (new) and it seems to me that they almost sounded different each time. i think u should be aware of ez deals and stuff that seems too good to be true on the i-net.

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Shop around, and buy used. In many cases, if you're patient, you can profit buying and selling used instruments because it's definately a buyer's market. The economy isn't as great as it was a couple years ago so people are often selling off instruments rather cheap. Hang onto 'em a bit then sell them.

Long story short, buy used, shop around, and you don't have to worry about the value of the instrument going down the pooper.

14. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    Definately spend what you can afford. MIA is way better than MIM in my opinion. Find used if you can. Good luck.

Finding the sound that you want can be a buying/selling process until you have finally found your "sound". You could buy a jazz, only later down the road to find out that your more into that precision sound.

Since it is your first bass, the resell of either the MIA or MIM fender jazz should match what you payed for it used.

15. DarrinG

DarrinG

May 10, 2004
    NC
    For a starter bass I bought an Ibanez gsr200 (which seems to be a dirty word around here :meh: ) and I must say for a relatively inexpensive bass it has held up very well and plays great. The first thing I did was play several and picked out the best feeling and sounding one I found and then replaced the factory strings with a set of ML Bass Boomers. The cheap Ibanez has proven (the one I have anyhow) to be a good value for a starter bass. For someone like me (that plays as a hobby and jams a little with friends on the porch :) , ) a $1,500 bass is out of the question, I dont play for a living, not even as a side-occupation, all I needed was a bass that would have decent sound and play-ability for a newbie, which the gsr200 has fit perfectly. Maybe I picked out a good one from a bunch of lemons, I dont know, but I can say I've been satisfied with it so far. My next purchase will probably be shopping around and playing as many Fender standard Jazz's as I can find and picking one out that fits and sounds best to me........

If you're like me and play as a hobby, dont get all caught up in all these threads from guys that play professionally, talking about how good their 2,000 buck axe sounds and all others are junk......... :bassist: