Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Purchasing my first real amp and head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Greg Johnsen, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    Yah, I've been stuck with a little Fender Rumble 15 and I need a bigger amp for my new 6er that's comming in.

I've been looking at lots of different cabs and heads and I think I've found 2 that I want. If my dad holds up his and of the deal (the cab) I'll be able to buy the head (I have about 800 saved up after my 1200 6er).

For the Cab, I'm thinking about the Ampeg BSE-410 4X10 cab, and the Genz Benz GBE 600.

Will these work together, I'm not that great at undertanding OHMS, and I don't want to blow anything...

Oh, and if you're wondering why my dad is going to buy something for me, I'm only 15.

Greg

2. where are you from, you never said what kind of currancy its in :p

3. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    oh, I'm from the ATL, uhh, yah, it's in USD. But what's that got to do with the combination of the amps?

Greg

4. everything :rolleyes:

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    they should work together allright, but i think the 410 is 8 ohms, so you won't be getting full wattage out of the head (nice head btw - great value IMO)

i would really look at a lot of cabs before buying - maybe even think about avatar (do a search or google avatar speakers) they're cheap, and pretty darned good.

i would also think hard about what size speakers you'll get considering it's probably going to be a while before you are going to be transporting them yourself. 4x10 cabs are great, but they are a PAIN to move around in a lot of cars. Think of it this way, you're going to be bumming a lot of rides for you and your amp from your parents, your freind's parents, etc.

i bet ya that 2 avatar 210 cabs (or a 210 and a 112, or a 210 and a 115) will cost the same as the ampeg cab. If you get two 8 ohm cabs you'll be able to use the full power of the head at 4 ohms. you'll also have the option of bringing just one smaller cab to a lot of rehearsals, jams, shows, parties, etc, or bringing both cabs for max volume.

some words of wisdom from a guy who just had a 2x15 that would not fit in my car. :p

6. jerm

jerm

Jul 10, 2005
    I dont know about the pros, but for me, a high school kid. I just got the cheapest rig around without compromising too much (a.ka. buying behringer). I got a hartke model 2000 head for $160 and a steelsound 2X10 for $106. Thats about $270 and I have a rig to jam with my friends and whatnot.and of course I can ditch the steelsound in a few years and pick up a peavey 4 X 10 or something along those lines.

Buy used. I live in Atlanta as well. look on Atlanta Craigslist, there are alot of good bass amps on there. An avatar 1 X 15 was going for $150 the other day, 4 ohms though, so I didn't pick it up.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Good call on the GB amp.

-Mike