1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PURCHASING NEW BASS -- ESP or G&L?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by levisixguns, Feb 28, 2008.

1. levisixguns

levisixguns

Feb 27, 2008
    ok so i'm in the market for a new bass and i'm shopping in the 300-500 dollar price range and i think i've narrowed it down to the two i think would work the best.

[just so everyone knows, i already own a mexican fender jazz bass with dimarzio super mid pickups and a cheap korean VANTAGE lp-style with humbuckers, i really like both of my basses but my fender is starting to anger me alot lately so i want something new to take my mind off of it for a couple months]

i play in three bands, one metal, one punk, and one "hardcore" and i use a Sansamp Bass Driver DI so my main concern is reliability and playability, no so much tone.

sorry for the musicians friend links. thats the only place that would give me a charge card :p

if theres something else you guys would recommend, please tell me.

ESP LTD D-4
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-D4-Bass?sku=513746

G&L TRIBUTE L-2000
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/GandL-Tribute-L2000-Plus-4String-Bass?sku=511122

2. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    the tribby is awesome. one of the basses i regret getting rid of (had to do it for a trade).

it can go hi-fi sounding and is a slap monster, and then it's extreamely woofy when in series mode. switch to passive for traditional tones. awesome pick-ups, great all around. believe the hype. i think it is one of the best import basses under $600 hands down.

very aggressive, more similar to a ernie ball and not as much like a fender be prepared.

3. levisixguns

levisixguns

Feb 27, 2008
    awesome! thats what i was hoping i would hear.

i've just caught wind that the tribute isn't good for heavier projects like metal and punk so i wanted to ask and get everyones opinion

4. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    I use a D-4 as my main bass in my metal band. I absolutely love it. Incredible tone, fast neck, looks awesome.

I haven't really played a tribute, but a buddy of mine plays one in his metal band, so I wouldn't worry about it not being able to work in a "heavy" situation.

5. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    the tribby i had sounded kind of (don't fry me guys) like geddy's wal tone on 'show of hands'. that may be a really good example. i could nail that tone with it.

not that it is all that it can do, but think of that specific bass tone into whatever project you have and see it'll fit. if this kind of bass tone works for you, then the G&L is the right bass for it.

it's a bit slappy, but here is a guy showing you the tones of the tribute:

6. PunkRocker33133

PunkRocker33133 Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    Sorry to Hi-Jack your thread but is this G&AL Tribute in that videoa good lower cost alternative to a Stingray?