1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pure Blues vs Sunbeams vs nickel Lo Riders. What makes them all different?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sean775, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Sean775

Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    Also, what would be the best choice if I want a string with a little more emphasis on the high mids?

2. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    IME Nickel Lo Riders disappointed In a few areas-price and dead B strings.
    Sunbeams are a tad scooped.
    Blues are a good compromise all around

3. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Pure Blues are an alloy 52 variation based on a round core.

Sunbeams are nickle with a round core, Nickle low Riders are Hex core, a tad stiffer than Sunbeams or Pure Blues.

Sorry, of the three, I've only used Sunbeams. I never really thought of them as emphasizing high mids.

4. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    If you want some really serious snarl in the high mids, check out ghs roundcore bass boomers. As far as DR brand strings go, Fat Beams are the ticket to good high mid content. That's one of the things Marcus Miller is all about.

michael_t likes this.
  5. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    Sunbeams are pretty much nickel Hi Beams if that helps, so they are still going to have some if that modern stopped thing going on.

Lo Riders are on a hexcore so stiffer with a different attack. I'm not sure how much if the mid-range grind they inherit from SS lo riders though

Pure Blues are round core like Sunbeams but they use a different metal which makes them more agressive. A good all around string with some focus on mids.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  6. Bibby

Bibby

Aug 24, 2000
    Jason42 likes this.