Pure Nickel Round Wound vs Nickel Coated Steel

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ctorre, Mar 7, 2002.

1. ctorre

Feb 18, 2002
    USA, Seattle, WA

I have a fretless bass with a polyester coated pau ferro fingerboard. I want to put heavy gauge Nickel round wounds on the bass since stainless steel is too abrasive (and too bright) IMHO. So, I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions on pure nickel versus nickel plated steel round wounds. (I'd love to find a nickel round wound set with 055, .070, .090 .105 dimensions. I don't think they exist, however... I'll settle for 050, .070, .085 .105.)

Thanks in advance,

2. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    D'Addario EXP nickel-plated steel roundwounds, with a polymer coating on the winding wire to protect the string (for extended play),
    I guess they're like Elixir nanoweb/polyweb coating --

I'm using EXPs right now to save on fret wear over birdseye maple fingerboard. They feel smoother, and yet still very much roundwound, so at least nicer on fingers -
    they might (?) be nicer on the wood too than pure nickel but not sure.

I just checked, they do make a .50 - .105
  3. ctorre

Feb 18, 2002
    USA, Seattle, WA
    Thanks! I will definitely check them out.
  4. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    DR Sunbeams and TI powerbass are both nickel plated steel (I think). I use them both and really like the smooth feel (would probably work for fretless) and punch of them. The DRs probably have more nickel content.

5. Fender makes a "pure" nickel set that runs 45-105. I use these on my Jazz bass (fretted), and they sound wonderful. They're not super expensive. Give 'em a try.