1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pure Nickel Strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by madbassplaya, Sep 20, 2010.

1. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Who uses them and what do you think?

What brands are you using?

2. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    I've got a set of the old label Fender 7150 on my Korean P. They sound good, very warm, but much quieter volume-wise than traditional nickel wounds. They work great with the aggressive Reverend pickup.

3. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    less volume? how much less?

4. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    It's kind of hard to quantify, but it's not massive, just definitely noticable.

5. uncle Bob

uncle Bob

Sep 16, 2010
    Drector of Sales LaBella Strings
    Remember Nickel is not magnetic......A good Nickel Plated Steel final wrap, like LaBella Slappers, is a good option...It is would with Stainless first and then a final qrap of NPS...THe same goes for Carvins series that features Nickel..There is a lot to be said for the comfort of playing this kind of set vs. Stainless that acts like a rasp by the end of the gig.

6. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    From Wikipedia...

"Nickel - Physical properties

Nickel is a silvery-white metal with a slight golden tinge that takes a high polish. It is one of only four elements that are magnetic at or near room temperature."

Some stainless steel formulations are magnetic, some are not.

7. saxofunk

saxofunk

Jul 25, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    I also use 7150s. That's the only string I've ever used on my G&L SB-2 so I can't speak to volume compared to others. They're plenty loud enough to make a signal, that signal goes all the way down a cable into my amplifier where it gets louder. ;)

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021