1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pure Vintage 63 P Bass Pickup Weak on G

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PianoOfDoom, Feb 3, 2016.

1. PianoOfDoom

PianoOfDoom

May 30, 2011
    NYC
    Anyone else experience a much weaker sound from the G string with the tone rolled off using this pickup? I've been using the "originals" 62 pu for the last year or so and had perfect evenness across the strings, but I put this in to see if I would like it. I only play with the tone all the way down, and use a .1uf cap. Is this normal for this pickup? If not, I'll try resoldering and see if maybe I got a bad connection, but it's just on the G (and a little weak on the D, but not as much). I've played with the action and pickup height with little effect. Even tried putting on a heavier string.

2. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    I can't see where this would be a solder problem as the A & E are not affected. More likely a problem with the lower half of the pickup. I would have the pickup replaced

3. PianoOfDoom

PianoOfDoom

May 30, 2011
    NYC
    Thanks. I like the way it sounds on the lower strings (I didn't last year when I tried it the first time, but my tastes have drifted), so it's a shame it doesn't work well on the upper strings. I tried raising the tone knob and got a very even response across the strings. I also tried tuning the G way down and got the same bass response as on the other strings. I think the design of this pickup is only sensitive to the very low frequencies when the tone is rolled off.

Any recommendations for a similar-sounding pickup that does not have this issue? I've been thinking of trying some Fralins, but not if it won't help.

4. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Guest

Feb 4, 2004
    .05/.047 cap

5. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Part of it could be pickup height/angle- the G poles should be closer to the string because the G string doesn't have as much mass to generate signal and it's excursion is less.

Also, that string generates the highest freq's and "only play with the tone all the way down, and use a .1uf cap" knocks more off the tone that string generates than from the others. As noted above, use a smaller cap (or just don't roll all the signal/tone off that string.

"Jaco only needed 4 strings", maybe you only need 3. ;)

Will_White likes this.
  6. PianoOfDoom

PianoOfDoom

May 30, 2011
    NYC
    I don't want any treble.

7. PianoOfDoom

PianoOfDoom

May 30, 2011
    NYC
    I've got the G pole jacked up and the others low. A little better, but still no oomph. I guess this PU is not designed for this tone, and I have to switch it back. The cheaper 62 Original does this fine, but the low end and hotter output on the 63 is a little more interesting to me right now.

Anyone try the Duncan SPB-2 "Hot" P Bass for this type of tone? From the description, it seems like it would work (strong mids, lower treble, hot output). I guess I'm in the mood to try some new sounds!

8. El Güero

El Güero

Oct 5, 2015
    From what you're describing, it's possible that one or both of the G magnets are weak, or might even be upside down.

If you have a little magnet you could place it near the the four magnets (one magnet at a time) in the D/G coil. ALL FOUR of the magnets should either attract OR repel your test magnet (make sure you keep your test magnet oriented the same throughout the test). DO NOT let the test magnet contact the other magnets, just get close enough to feel it push or pull. If your pickup passes the polarity test, then I'd suspect a weak magnet/s on the G (or some other form of weirdness).

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  9. PianoOfDoom

PianoOfDoom

May 30, 2011
    NYC
    Thanks, I'll check that out!

10. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    You got a defect 63pup.

I get full and thick G with 63pup, yes, even output from string to string . I use Fender .1uf Vintage WAX cap.

11. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    I have those PUs in my 2015 MIA P. I don't notice any issues.

upload_2016-3-14_16-47-0.

12. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    I don't think it's an issue with the pickups or the strings but with the tone cap, I also use a .1 uf tone cap and it can tend to reduce the volume of the g string. Since you only use it tone full down you could try just using a switch and putting a .1uf cap on the EA coil and a .047uf cap on the DG coil

13. PianoOfDoom

PianoOfDoom

May 30, 2011
    NYC
    I solved the problem by switching back to the Fender "Original". I also tried the SD "Hot" Vintage something or other, and it was similar to the 63. I definitely did not want to add any treble - just even out the volume and oomph. The Originals does that really well. I guess I just used to it.