Pure Vintage '74 Jazz pups ... spacing?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by madjazzbass, Jun 17, 2017.

1. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    I'm very interested in purchasing a set of the pure vintage 74 J pups, (I have a set of the 64 pure Vintage in another Bass and I really like them). But, this other Bass doesn't have the 70's spacing; now, I'm certain that the pickups will work in the Bass, but I guess in order to get closest to that 70's Tone, the Bass SHOULD have 70's spacing correct? Has anyone ever put a set of 70's J pups in a Bass with 60's spacing? Where you happy with the tone/results?

2. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    I installed Fender 74 Vintage pickups in my MIM Jazz (60's spacing). Comparing the sound with stock pickups, it now sounds brighter, with tihhter low end and more details in the mids.
    But not like 70's Jazz, so I am guessing the bridge pickup position is decisive factor.

madjazzbass likes this.
  3. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Hmmm Interesting, I was wondering about that 'brighter sound' thing; I do like what I'm hearing about the tighter low-end and more detailed mids though, that sounds really cool, Thanks a lot, that's just the sort of answers I'm looking for.

4. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    ... Also, Did you happen to notice any more "Growl" with the PV 74 pups?

5. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    Well, not MUCH more, probably because of same position. But high mids are positively "sweeter", and that's alnico vs. ceramic.
    I have to be honest, at full price - I would have never bought them. There are lots of pickups, as good as these, for less money.
    These were used, and cost around 80€, so I jumped.