Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PureTone (Australia) strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by New25bass, May 27, 2004.

1. Hi All,
    Has anyone here tried PureTone Bass Strings?
    As you probably are aware here in Australia bass strings (as well as most musical equipment) are a complete ripoff compared to the US etc (even for stuff not made in the US???).
    Anyway as my name suggests I am new to 5 string bass (purchased a new Yammie BBN5ii) and am having trouble tracking down good value strings for it (ie locally the absolute cheapest I could find is $A72), anyone know a good place in Oz to purchase good value strings?
    Cheers
    New25bass
    BTW after lurking for a while and learning a great deal from this excellent forum this is my first post.

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've been playing for 16 years and still pay too much for strings. There are some cheap Home Brews around but I can never get them in a 5 string version in the guages I want.

So I suffer at the counter, but make it by by boiling them when they get worn.

3. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to TB.
    There are a few places in Australia that i have found "cheap" strings. The BassPlayer in Sydney usually has competitive prices. But to be totally honest i will NEVER EVER buy strings from an Australian store again. Its works out ALOT cheaper to buy them from a US store and have them sent over.
    The best US shop i have found for prices is probably www.basscentral.com although i am a bit biased towards that shop due to have actually been there and knowing the staff. But the prices are good buying in bulk works out cheaper. Example: I purchased strings from bass central and overall including postage it worked out about half the price of what i would have paid here.

4. Tez

Tez

Jan 24, 2004
    Australia
    I tried pure tone they are a bright string they seemed quite even I bought three sets used one and sold the other 2 they cirtainly are not expencive, if you are new to Bass then I would reccomened them as they will do the job and not break the budget . then you can make comparisons later if you have some spare $$$ . Experimenting with strings to suit your sound and a particular Bass is time consuming and expencive
    Tez

5. scottlee

scottlee

Feb 17, 2003
    I'm in Australia and I don't look anywhere else for strings other than http://www.bassguitarstrings.us. Fantastic prices, good choice and they get here in about a week. Even with shipping, still heaps cheaper (ecspecially when the ausy$ was at 80 cents!). I have saved 100's of dollars.

I have ordered from them about 4 times now with no problems. Also, you won't need to pay any GST or duty - they come straight to your door. Highly reconmended.

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Holy ****. I just ordered 2 sets of Ernie Ball 5 string at a grand total of $US57 including shipping. That equates to about $85 Australian or $42.50 each set. They retail for $90.

I'm never buying strings from a store ever again...........

Thanks Scott!