1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Purified , Refined Linseed Oil

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Growly Lytes, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    Hi again guys,
    I just wanted to finish & try to inform anybody wanting to do this to a Rosewood fretboard can & get great results doing so.
    The info on Linseed Oil & Fretboards wasnt to clear.It was always 50/50 when asking people about using 'Linseed Oil' in particular.Linseed Oil isnt all the same.
    I nearly used the wrong type of Linseed Oil.......On the hardware store shelf i found,
    Raw
    Boiled
    An arts & crafts store was the only place i found that had
    'Purified' or 'Refined Linseed Oil.Its more expensive but you get better results imo then using Boiled Linseed Oil that smells bad & strong.
    Linseed Oils arent the same & lucky i tested them first on scrap Rosewood.
    Purified' or 'Refined' are the same Oil,it just comes down to what the maker wants it tagged under ' Artists Linseed Oil it is.
    Refined Linseed Oil' doesnt stay wet its a drying Oil & doesnt smell.It darkens wood & feels great when playing , smooth as.
    The biggest problem i read on TB was that people either hated the smell of Linseed Oil even after months it still smelled or it was sticky on hot days & killed strings also making your fingers feel oily.You dont get these problems with 'Purified Linseed Oil.
    Im not saying you cant use BLO but it smells bad.You have to be really careful with BLO not to use to much or leave it on the FB for to long, thats when problems arise.
    IMO - If your gonna use Linseed Oil make sure its Refined or Purified Linseed Oil.

2. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    You may have better luck finding it if you search for flax seed oil