Purle Heart?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Tbirdbassist, Dec 25, 2005.

1. What are the properties of this wood? Soft, hard, medium?

I ask because I'm thinking of buying a Conklin GT-7 or GTBD-7 and making it a fretless. I was thinking of once I do it, Id need to epoxy it, but I dont know about the purpleheart, so any info is thanked.
  2. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    purpleheart is hard and heavy, you really wouldnt need to epoxy it.
    todd the woodnut
  3. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Keep in mind, if you don't finish it, it will oxidize and brown over time.
  4. What do you suggest I finish it with?
  5. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Sorry I'm not a luthier and won't venture to suggest a finish.
    I just didn't want you to buy a purpleheart fretboard loving the colour, and then have it turn brown in a year making you frustrated and disappointed.
    On second thought, I will suggest a finish, epoxy, it'll seal better than an oil finish (keeping the wood purple) and will wear better than any other finish.
    You may want to ask Nateo for tips on epoxying a fretboard
  6. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    My sources say that lacquer will help preserve the purple color. But I doubt that your Conklin has a lacquered board. Has it retained its color well? I'd leave it unfinished. You need to redress fretless boards time to time anyways. This will restore the color.

It's plenty hard for fretless use.
  7. wstrnfznbssst

Oct 7, 2005
    I asked Bill Conklin what to use to treat the purpleheart, and he said plain lemon oil (or orange) will suffice. I have been using orange, and in a years time, both still have that unique, gorgeous color. And it is definately hard enough for fretless. In an aside, I strongly recommend these guitars. I have been working 3-6 nights a week for 20 odd (boy have they been odd) years, I've owned a lot of basses, but I have never enjoyed playing more (perhaps as much) as I have in the last year. The action on both is SICK, wonderful tone, much more comfortable than you would ever imagine, both the neck and on your shoulder, and the attention grabbers you would expect, from musicians and non-musicians alike. I have one tuned B thru F, the other E thru Bb. 2 tips: You can get your strings (the SIT taper core power steels, or the original equipment Snakeskins) from Conklin at half off (34.50 plus shipping for standard 7 string) if you call with a CC. I much prefer the SIT's. And don't over EQ. This is VERY much a case of less is more, just let the natural tone come thru.