Purple Haze- Am I going crazy?!?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Stevie Barr, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Hi all,
    Got a question about the intro to Hendix's "Purple Haze" (studio version). All the tabs I've seen on the net show it as being played all on the note of E, alterating between octaves, but when I listened last night to what Noel Redding was playing on the recording, it sounds somewhat more "discordant", in fact it sounds as though he's alternating between Bb (fretted at 6th fret on the E string) and E (at 7th fret on the A string). Am I going mad, or does anyone else agree?

2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Hendrix is playing the Bb
  3. +1. :)
  4. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    It's a long while since I worked on that. I'm not sure how accurate my approach is but I tend to play E-Bb double stops in alternating octaves:
    Not too difficult and it sounds great :D

5. Many thanks for the replies guys! :) I've got the job as a "holiday relief" bass player this weekend for the house band at an open mike type session, and this is one of the numbers I'll need to know. I always thought Noel was playing octaves of E, but when I listened to it "properly" last night (it was quite late, I'd been working on stuff for hours and I had a severe case of "Engineer's ear" :) ) It sounded "discordant" as though Hendrix was playing a B and Redding a Bb together. Anyway, I'll try Wulf's suggestion!

6. Just had another listen to the track, with fresh ears (and different speakers ;) ) and it's so plainly obvious that Noel is playing octave E and Jimi octave Bb that it's untrue! Lord knows what made methink that there was a B natural in there! :oops: Ah well, it had been a long night..........
  7. Yeah, I know. ;) ;)
  8. superjake

Nov 6, 2003
    Didn't they play tuned down a half step?
  9. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Not for purple haze.
  10. Noooooo. :meh: