1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Purple Hofner Gold Label Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pimpernel Smith, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Pimpernel Smith

Pimpernel Smith Supporting Member

May 25, 2012
    In the Pond
    I can't take credit for finding this. Major Metal found it and sent it to me.

Hofner is putting out a transparent purple 500/1 bass with 1960 type toaster pick ups, Cavern spacing with black knobs and control panel.

I dare say that somebody will have to have it. Appropriate for Lenten services, or for shaking things up.

http://www.hofner-guitars.com/gold-label/gold-label-basses/gl-vb-60-pl-0.html

2. jbossolo

jbossolo

Sep 22, 2011
    WOW. Different indeed, in a good way.

3. GG7

GG7

Mar 14, 2013
    Looks kind of cool, but if I were to ever spring for one of these, I think I would go for that classic sunburst and the original design everyone knows and loves.

4. NightTripper

NightTripper

Oct 20, 2011
    Sweet mother of Macca. I need one!

Anyone know if they will be available through the major retailers? Also, though I'm afraid to find out, what will the price be I wonder?

5. GG7

GG7

Mar 14, 2013
    What is a new Hofner Violin Bass going for these days? Just curious.

6. NightTripper

NightTripper

Oct 20, 2011
    A lot. $2869.99 on MF. Too much for me, but I'd still love to get my hands on one someday.

7. GG7

GG7

Mar 14, 2013
    WOW! That is a ton more than I was expecting! And I thought the new Fender American Vintage line was high! Makes those seem cheap by comparison!

I think I would rather have that 64 J Bass in Lake Placid Blue over a 2900.00 Beatle Bass!

Problem for me with these is that back in the late 60s and early 70s when the original Hofners had fallen out of favor with everyone, you could buy the 60s ones for that day's equivilent of a couple hundred bucks at a pawn shop. ;)

8. ShonenCello

ShonenCello

Sep 21, 2011
    I gave one away in the '70s because it was so uncool to play one!

9. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    I like it! It doesn't appear to be transparent though. Just regular old purple. Does anyone know what the street price will be?

10. I wonder why they picked purple? Very polarizing color.

I'm trying to picture one in red, yellow, blue, green, orange, shell pink - non of them work in my head.

Still - that thing is gorgeous.

11. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I better call Prince or is it The Artist Formerly Known As? :)

12. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    I saw one on ebay that had a Union Jack top. Don't know when they offered that but its pretty sweet but $3600 is super expensive.

13. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Very cool. Not $3600 cool though.

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

Oh my word! Why would they cover that beautiful flame maple with a solid finish?

15. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    Interesting that only the purple model is shown with the Hofner badge on the tailpiece. I would love to get my hands on a tailpeice like that to slap onto my CT 500/5 .

16. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    I don't like it. But I'm old and in the way.

17. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    It will probably go up in value. Look at Tuxedo Rics they were $1200 about 8 or so years ago. Try to get one for that now.

18. mp40smg

mp40smg

Aug 11, 2010
    Worcester, Ma.
    I wish they'd just come back out with interesting color icons.

19. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Nooo! Don't! He'll just smash it!

But all kidding aside, THAT THING LOOKS MAGNIFICENT.