Purple Onion, Love it or Hate it?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by evilbrian9, Nov 12, 2002.

1. new claypool cd. what do you guys think? he says it appeals to all fans of primus frog brigade and sausage but i found my copy in the used bin 2 days after it was released. im not a big fan now, actually i lost interest since antipop came out. i think he should get back to his roots, cut the effects off of the vocal channel and call ler and herb and rock out not this i want to look intriguing to stoners thing. opinions please...
  2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    It's not at the top of my Les Claypool list either;)
  3. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It has it's high points (does anyone else love Whamola??) but I find myself listening to Oysterhead and Live Frogs Set 1 a lot more than Purple Onion.

brad cook
  4. see him tomore if i can get in damm 18 +.i love the cd. it grows on u . there a song on antipop claypool sayys he took shurms befor he mixed i i guess thats what he do to make this whole cd
  5. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I actually really love Purple Onion. It does have similar aspects to oysterhead and primus, but there is a lot of primus I don't like. I tend to like Les' other, non primus, projects better.

It is a very weird album and not as "musical" as oysterhead (which I also really love), but it is just fun.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    My five month old daughter and I love it. My wife calls it that "Muppet CD". I'm going to see him Thursday actually.
  7. I picked up puple onion the day that it came out, and the more that I listen to it the more I like it, much like old Primus cds. Though I still love Sailing the Oceans of Cheese more than Purple Onion.
  8. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    I like it, and my friends that like Primus like as well. But man, "Whamola" just plain dominates.
  9. natethegreatno8

Oct 5, 2003
    i actually dig "ding dang" more or even "brian makalaster"/////awesome record!!!!
  10. Prophetic!!!

I like Purple Onion a lot!
  11. I love it!

I quite enjoy jamming along with 'david makalaster' and 'cosmic highway'.

:D Yay for claypool.
  12. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    The Purple onion is not the greatest work out there from the old "Cheese" himself, it has it's moments. But If you have seen him live for that tour, man what a great show that was!! His xylophonist was incredible! That's the beauty of Claypool, he's always looking for new ways of obscurity.

It make take some time to get the hang of some of his grooves, but well worth the wait.
  13. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    hey I love the guy but this wasn't his best effort. I think it was a little "over-produced" or something. Too many vocal effects and just some bad lyrics in there - what was he thinking when he wrote D's Diner?
  14. I think he wanted to go down to D's.

15. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Oceans of Cheese? You live next door to Claypool's hometown, you call yourself a Primus fan, yet you can't remember the album title?

Some people...

16. OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!! :mad: :mad:

17. David Makalaster.