Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Purpleheart body?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by VS, Jun 7, 2002.

1. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Anyone have a bass with a Purpleheart body? If so,how is the sound,pro's/con's? Also,any comments on Kingwood? Luke

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
  3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
  4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Bill dosen't own that 9 string anymore.and purpleheart is the steel of mothernature.it would make a very heavy body no matter how small the body may be.

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im using purpleheart laminates to add mass to the hollow body bass Im working on.

Strange thing is I decided to make it hollow since the design was a little to large (has an unusual offset body).

Now to compensate for the loss of mass I went through such pains to develop, Im using a heavy wood.

Please dont make too much fun of me.

Peace
    Nick

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Its kool Nickman,its all about learning.

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I don't think purpleheart is any heavier than bubinga - then again, even with a small body the bubing Thumb Bass is pretty heavy.

Bubinga is actually stronger, but I think purpleheart is stiffer (I think the reference is actually "nature's graphite"? :) ). Higher stiffness means the sound travels through it very quickly and fully. An all-purpleheart bass might sound somewhere inbetween wood basses and all-composite ones. But I'm speculating now.

8. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Only two more strings on that Alembic to call it perfection. = )

9. If I ever get enough money to have Bill Conklin build a bass for me it will be like the 9-string of Bill Dickens, completly out of purpleheart and maple
    I really, really dig the look of it and what I heard of it's exactly my taste of sound.
    And the weight, who cares, get a nice, fat, polstered strap and it'll be ok

10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Im not trying to deter you.but you think you want a Bass that heavy.you can get the sound you want out of the Bass(co.)you want with less heavier woods.I played Billy's Conklin 9 on several occassions,it was almost as heavy as a building :D that was the main reason he got rid of it.

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Whoah! What the heck is it with the zillion knobs on that Alembic!! :eek: :eek:

12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I'm in the boat with what Jauqo says - the woods you are looking at are "complementary" woods....that is they're heavier, denser, woods that need to coupled with a lighter, more resonant, to make that bass sing.

A lighter-colored hard wood added to the mix would add some high end "sparkle", too.

Weight doesn't bother me but resonance is a concern to me.

13. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    [​IMG]
    This one has a purpleheart top and back, with an alder hollowbody that is 2 " thick. I also used purpleheart for the fingerboard. Nice strong wood, and you can get it with flame figure like this one. I use it mostly for laminating necks.

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    every one of my conklins except the 8 string fretless has purple heart stringers through the neck, for support. actually the neck on my 8 string fretted is mostly purple heart, with thin strips of walnut.

i've also played bill dickens' 9 string and it was pretty uncomfortably heavy i can see why he unloaded it.

15. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    I remember seeing that LM Bass somewhere else.I like the look of it.Purpleheart is a great wood and its beautiful.I have it on some of my Basses.I love and support it.but the issue is not that,the issue is a solid body Purpleheart Bass as big as a 7,8,or 9 string is and would be murder on the spine no matter how comfortable a strap may be.

16. I've played a bass with a purple heart body, neck stringers, and fingerboard. The top was ebony and the neck was rockwood lite I beleive. In any case, I'm not a big guy, and that bass tore me apart! I couldn't even imagine playing a 7,8, or 9 string one of those!

Also, IMO even though it is quite beautiful, the tone can be duplicated with other, lighter woods.

17. To all you guys that played the 9-stringer of Bill Dickens: What was the sound like ? Give me an idea of the sound of a purpleheart body

18. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've got a Curbow Petite 5 string that has a Purpleheart back with a Lacewood top. Also, throw a Rockwood/Rockwood neck with two trussrods, and 1 lb block of brass under the bridge into the mix. I think Greg told me at the time the bass was an experiment to see what happened when he used one of the harder woods (purpleheart) and one of the softer woods (lacewood).

While the body is semi-hollow, it is still not light by any stretch of the imaginiation. What is does have going for it is the tightest B string I've heard on a 34" scale neck, and sustain that goes on for hours.

It's the burgandy bass next to the PBass in this old pic.
    [​IMG]
    You can see how small the body is compared to the Fenders, and it's still a back breaker. The sound is amazing, though, with 18 V Bart electronics and PowerBass strings.

The weight is actually not too much of an issue since I sit at most of my gigs (and, it's only in gig rotation every month, or so, anyway).

The lacewood is a very soft top (3/4"), and I'm not sure how much the lacewood affects the sound. Maybe it takes some of the harshness of the purpleheart out since the bass is not brash sounding, at all. But, it definitely has a very quick attack.

It is definitely the brightest, and quickest sounding of all of my Curbows.

19. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Bill plays it in the "The Day the Bass Players Took Over the World" video and his "Bass Beyond Limits" instructional video if you really need to hear it. But Bill's a pretty big guy, and if it's too heavy for him, I wouldn't even think of wanting one that heavy.

20. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    And this is coming from the man with the double-necked Conklin, which he plays standing. :D