Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

purpleheart or phenolic for multistring fretless bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassiclybass, Mar 6, 2003.

1. bassiclybass

bassiclybass

Mar 1, 2003
    calif
    Aloha, thinking about a 7 string but i'm wonderin about fretboard material;what's the difference in tone and durability( using roundwounds)between purpleheart and phenolic.i know everything else matters too like body woods,pups,playing style,rig,etc.My favorite Bass is a 76 MM stingray w/a Moses Graphite fretless neck,Basslines pups and preamp.Iknow its a bolt-on,and im looking to buy or build a 7 string neck-thru..what i like about the MM is i can make it mwah,cry,sing,or spit fire...i can get a great slap tone also w/a pull of a knob(real versatile)im wondering if its possible to get a great slap tone from a 7/neckthru,and what type of woods you would suggest to be able to make all those things happen.i know there are some great mult-str. players out there and i would love to hear from all of you!! please include the bass youre playing now,what type of woods/electronics,what you like about the combo,what youve owned in the past and how long youve been playing!! p.s. looking for a used conklin 7 or warrior 6 fretless!!! thank you for your time!!!!!!:bassist:

2. Purpleheart: Very good wood for fretless basses. Even better as neck laminates. I prefer Ebony cause of that nice "growl" the Ebony has, but Purpleheart is good. I believe Pete McFerrin has a fretless with a purpleheart board.

Phenolic: INCREDIBLY STRONG; won't be damaged by roundwounds anytime soon. (I somewhat prefer flats on a fretless anyways) Has a brighter and snappier tone than purpleheart, but doesn't have nearly as much of that nice natural sound that a lot of fretless players look for.

Call me old-fashioned, but I don't want any graphite fingerboard in a fretless. Maybe if it is a fretted bass that I would use for metal, like the Modulus Q5, but not a fretless.