1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Purported original 66’ Jazz Bass factory custom Black color

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kirk Bryant, Dec 5, 2018.

1. My first thought when I saw this bass without seeing the price was, heavy relic, and wondered who did it. (I was searching for vintage headstocks for another reference)
    I saw the HS then clicked on the link and saw the body before checking price. (11K)
    So what do our resident Fender experts think about veracity of their claims?
    My second thought was fairly original with a refin. But it’s claimed factory original. The decal looks jankey but things were more a little more hand made then I certainly don’t know. I’ve owned 60’s J’s and while I consider myself fairly knowledgeable, I’m no expert. The shop thinks it’s all real. Personally, nowadays I’m more skeptical. Thoughts?

D6C76831-07C0-42A1-A13E-8664882CAE44.

510611D1-1688-4FBE-9E27-839B826F56C9.

1966 FENDER JAZZ BASS - FACTORY BLACK -MATCHING HEADSTOCK! VINTAGE FENDER BASS

2. Hard to tell. No photo of the heel and neck pocket. Decal looks okay.
    A bit pricey for a CBS in that condition.
    Lollipops and no binding - unsure if I seen that combination before.
    edit: Neck is from Oct 65 - so all looks legit.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    DJ Bebop likes this.
  3. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    As far as I know, that decal looks right. They cut the "Jazz Bass" off the logo because it was black on black.

A black '66 is "one that got away" for me.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  4. s van order

s van order

Oct 4, 2012
    Delaware
    I had a '66 Jazz with lollipops and no binding.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  5. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    I agree about the "wear" on the body. Looks overdone and maybe in the wrong areas? The headstock looks convincing to me, though. But what do I know?

DJ Bebop and bobyoung53 like this.
  6. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I feel like there is a mismatch going on between the hardware and the bass.

The finish on that body and neck have been through hell, but it looks like I can see my reflection in the chrome pieces.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Good catch. The rest of the bass looks like it was left out in the yard for a decade. The chrome looks like it was installed new this morning.... using white silk gloves.

8. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Here is the original headstock on my ‘62.
    6B5A207F-8E4E-4ABC-BB93-16D67D35BE99.

The hardware may have been in the case. But, with that much wear, I am surprised that the white lines on the knobs are still there. Here is my refin body with hardware for reference.

DC4D5E56-D262-462C-814C-FA80BE5AE968.

I also agree that the wear looks power tool vs player. Vintage Fenders can be a real crapshoot. I wouldn’t touch that instrument at that price without it first being a real player and second being inspected by someone like Gruhn’s.

The truth is you can get modern built instruments that are every bit the players that these older instruments are. I’m inclined to leave the speculation to the collectors.

60bass and Wisebass like this.
  9. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Charlie, hi twofer :):)

Just saw that the bass is in Europe.

This could actually be true. Probabely done in the shop that sells it, to cover the rusty bridge. :D

On my side of the pond (Europe), bassplayers put ashtrays on the amp, not on the bass. :laugh:

Maybe those covers were in a drawer or in the case for the last 52 years.

greetings.

Wise(b)ass

jamro217, jackn1202 and two fingers like this.
  10. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Good point, Wise.

Wisebass likes this.
  11. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    It was actually the 'pops and control plate that caught my eye.
    I take my covers off too.

Wisebass likes this.
  12. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Well, for over 9000 euro I expect that they clean them! :roflmao:

Good boy! ;):laugh:

Wise

13. That's been reliced, wouldn't a 66 Fender have a Nitro finish too? That looks almost like how poly ages, sharp edges instead of smooth.

14. If the hardware on this bass looks "new" to anyone, maybe an eye exam is in order?

iqsi45jsksnuzues7osi.

dspv9irgw5u7zvcklqtl.

15. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    :thumbsup:

:oops: I only saw the pic in the OP!

:crying::crying::crying:

Wise(b)ass

bobyoung53 likes this.
  16. Right, and the neck on the Reverb bass is purported to be dated Oct '65, anyway. Old Fender necks and bodies don't always share the same dates, not uncommon for the two to be dated months apart, sometimes many months apart. If the bass is fake, it won't be because of the tuners and lack of binding.

DJ Bebop, FenderOli and Wisebass like this.
  17. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Looks authentic to me (but I'm a vintage P guy, not as much experience with J); price is more in line with a mint condition 66, not a beater like this.

DJ Bebop and Templar like this.
  18. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Looks damn good on my phone screen, but yes, my eyes aren't what they once were

19. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I actually saw this black 66 Jazz bass in person when I was in England this summer. I just happened to be staying at an Air BnB right around the corner from New Kings shop, and the place is amazing and packed to the gills with wonderful instruments!

On black headatocks, Fender cant use the rest of the "Jazz Bass" lettering because its black, so they only install the "Fender" part.

The bass is behind the red Jazz in the pic I took when I visited.

Attached Files:

20. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The bass is in London England, prices are much higher there.

Templar likes this.