purpose of pre-amps/passive

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Guest User, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Guest User

Guest User

Apr 3, 2005
    i have a hartke 2500 and have A and B preamps.
    Tube and Solid right? what the hell are they for? i just set them at the equal same number b/c it makes the sound louder.

what do they do?
    oh yea , i have a p-bass, ive been pluggin it in on passive, not on active. Is that where i should have it connected?

just a little confused... : :meh: thanks
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    You're doing the right thing plugging into the passive input. The other input reduces the input from the bass, and can be useful if you have an active bass that has a hot output.

The two knobs are for 2 'different' preamps. I say that in quotes, since it's only partly true, but close enough for our purposes. The Solid state knob effects a different tone than the Tube knob. You can use them both to mix the tones or you can choose just one. I have a 3500, and I prefer to use the Tube side exclusively.

The Solid state side has more clean 'piano' like tone...It's going to give you a more modern sound...The Tube side, is colored by a 12AX7 tube, and 'injects' some of the tonal charactersitics of a tube into your sound. If you want to know what that's all about, I'd suggest you do a search for Tube vs. Solid State on this forum, they have different tonal characteristics, and there are proponents and opponents of both.

Hope this helps a bit...You're doing fine, with your set up...although I'd suggest you run the main volume pretty hot...like at 8 or so and use less preamp volume. That way you'll keep away from preamp clipping and have better sound with less likelihood of harming your speakers.
  3. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I have an old 3500 as a cheap backup.

The tube side is for turning up. The solid state side is for turning down and ignoring...... :D

Seriously, the tube pre seems to be prefered on these suckers. At least I know that I prefer it.
  4. Guest User

Guest User

Apr 3, 2005
    thanks, atleast im doing something right

helped alot :hyper:

5. Different sound :p