1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Purpose of silk wrapping?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by BobKay, Mar 11, 2016.

1. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    Title says it all. I searched and cannot find an answer. Just curious.

2. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    Good question. I am curious to know why Rotosound uses silk wraps on their steel strings but not nickel. That seems to say that there is an actual "sound" reason. Steels are much brighter, so I always assumed it had to do with dampening the sound or vibration, but that's just a guess.

3. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Probably because the steel is rougher than nickel on the tuning pegs.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  4. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Traditional wrapping on the ends to keep gut strings from unwinding.

Jake deVilliers likes this.
  5. If you mean the outer silk wrapping on both ends of the string, these have the function to keep the windings in place, to avoid unravelling.

Keep in mind that the tension is completely held by the core of the string, the windings only add mass and damping and are not fixed to the core except by friction.

If you ever had a string with a broken winding (i.e. at the bridge because of a too narrow or unfounded bridge slot) you might have experienced that kind of unravelling.

A second function is to avoid friction of the windings against themselves on the peg which might lead to broken windings too. This still can happen with a silk wrapping, but as long as there is enough silk at the end of the played part of the string unravelling still does not happen. In such cases a drop of glue at the silk might help to avoid unravelling of the silk.

CameronJohnson likes this.
  6. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    priority #uno: sexiness.

7. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    Thanks all.