1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Purpose of strap button on back of headstock?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Linas, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Why did fender put a strap button on the backside of the headstock? You see these in 62' RIs and original? Whats the purpose?

2. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    this was added as an option to the standard strap location. old style straps had string ties on the ends(think banjo, acoustic guitar). so you could easily "strap up" to the headstock button. the advantages may be better balance?? instrument position?? i have seen some old pics of guys playing 50's p basses strapped up at the headstock.

3. Peik

Peik

Dec 2, 2004
    Sweden
    I think I read somewhere that it was so the players changing from upright, could hang the bass more at an angel....makes sense?

Peik

4. From "The Fender Bass: An Illustrated History" (pg 38)

"In 1960, Fender added the strap button to the back of the Jazz and Precision headstocks. (Traditional players used this button to help strap the bass vertically, allowing them to play as they were accustomed in their transition from doghouse to electric bass.) By 1969, the button dissappeared [sic], creating yet another Fender mystery."

5. how i've never known that
    guess you learn something new everyday

cant picture that being comfortable at all.

6. Kindness

Kindness

Oct 1, 2003
    Chicago
    It's an answer to a different question, but I've seen bassists use the button at the back of the headstock to clip one end of their strap when they are bagging up their bass. It takes some of the slack out of a strap that would otherwise be clipped to the upper horn and reduces the tendancy of the strap to bunch up in the bag.