1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Purpose of Switch in EMG-HZ Passive Diagrams

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sonix, Jul 19, 2008.

1. sonix

sonix

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit
    Hello,

I am curious as to how my bass sounds with no pre amp at all. I looked at EMG's website and I looked up the schematic for my EMG-HZ passive pick ups. I just cant figure out why a switch is needed for when I would be wiring two volume and two tone pots especially since the diagram says that each volume is independent.

http://www.emginc.com/downloads/wiringdiagrams/EMGHZ-35-40-45.pdf
    diagram 6 ^^

If it were a pick up enable switch, then wouldn't just turning down the volume all the way for one pick up be sufficient to do the job?

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Looks like Gibson Les Paul style wiring to me. Two volumes and a switch. Not necessary, but another option.

3. sonix

sonix

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit
    so the switch is to turn on one pick up or the other (or both) ?

4. therex

therex

Jun 24, 2007
    lima
    it looks like, but i am no expert in electronics

5. sonix

sonix

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit
    yeah, its to disable either pick up, if you turn down the volume all the way it doesnt mute it.

surprisingly, I like the passive direct out with no pre amp best. it has more punch than when the EMG BTS pre amp in it did.

tomorrow, i will try the G&B 3 band pre amp. i've recorded my progress so far. anyone interested in the files should let me know.

6. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Inactive

Oct 20, 2004
    The BTS always sounds better running on 18V. I haven't used it witht he passive pickups, but it sounds better that way with the actives. You get more headroom which equals more punch.

7. sonix

sonix

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit
    according to my tests, the purpose of the switch is because when you turn down the volume all the way, the pick up is not completely muted.

8. sonix

sonix

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit
    not necessarly. thats only true if you used to hit the head. why not run at 24v then? more punch!

9. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Inactive

Oct 20, 2004
    My opinion was based on actually using EMG pickups and BTC systems in 4 different basses that I built for the last 10 years. Originally I ran the systems on 9 volts.

Later I switched them to 18 V and you could hear more punch. On 9 Volts they are more compressed sounding. Since that time EMG started recommending 18 volt operation for all their bass systems.

Don't forget that these devices use op amps, which are not made to run on a single power rail. So after you split the 9 volts in half, you are running on +/- 4.5 Volts.

On the other hand I make JFET preamps that run on 9 volts and they are fine, because that's how they are designed. Running them on higher voltages doesn't give you more of anything, except noise.

It has nothing to do with "hitting the head". You wont get more output level on 18 volts, you will will get wider voltage swings, because there's more available to the op amps.

This is from the EMG instruction sheet:

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    This thread is about EMG-HZ pickups, which are passive. and the OP has not mentioned any EQ circuit.

11. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Inactive

Oct 20, 2004
    Go to post #5:

So I pointed out that if he was using the BTS on 9 volts, that would be true. Run the BTS on 18 volts and you wont notice a difference.

It wasn't for this particular setup, but he did mention a preamp.

12. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Inactive

Oct 20, 2004
    Only if you have your volume controls miswired. The switch is to switch pickups as on a Les Paul. Not too many basses are set up that way.

Every two volume control bass in the world completely muts the volume when the volume controls are on zero.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021