Push and Smelly musicians

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Barnacle Joe, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Ever had to play with one or more annoying musicians? Today at church this dude playing a twelve string was like freaking out on me. I don't claim to be a very good bassist, I just play the root notes of the guitar chords and try to have a good time, plus I had heard one of probably 4 or 5 songs that we played today, so I had to run through it a couple times before I got the rhythm right, and of course they singers couldn't decide what order we should go in (as in chorus vs verse). Anyway this dude was like "you know if you want we could switch and you can play the guitar instead", and later in one song he told me to play a d flat when obviously a d was required (the chord was dminor) and it sounded not so good, but I played it anyway just so he would shut up. Later on during the set the dude kept farting and it smelled terrible, I was like ahhh i am never doing this again.
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    He farted in church? :eek:
  3. was your bass in tune? :D

were you reading the same music? i had that problem in church just today...The organist had the old version, and i had the new version of the same song, which has a few more chord changes than her version...good thing i realized the problem, i just looked over her shoulder for the rest of the song!
  4. we were reading from the same sheet. it was sad, he was like "the bassline is like a progression high to low" but yeah...no. I see where he was coming from but a half step lower will/did sound cruddy unless its like a walk thing where you end up on another note. not sure if he farted, maybe he just dropped one right there in his pants... it was rough and long lasting, and quite rude. this maybe should have been posted in the off topic forum being as farting has little to do with bass playing (as far as I know)
  5. only if the midrange is turned down...
    anyways, what a great bandleader you have!
    next time you play with him, make sure you practice beforehand, so he knows what it sounds like when you play the wrong note...don't do it when playing for the church just for spite. also, check to see if you are both tuned to the same thing...maybe someone (either you or him) was a half-step off or something...

i dunno,it could be a thousand things...

6. "No, the pair with the hole in the left buttcheek from when I had to fart in church, but it was that extra long palm sunday mass, and I thought blowing gas would offend jesus so I held it in, then let it go in the vestibule(sp?) later and it sounded like Louie Armstrong."

7. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I have been in your shoes. Just recently.

You need to talk to the guy man to man and tell him whats up. Don't let this drive you off. It sounds like he has a problem with a pride or arrogance. That has no place on a church band.

You owe it to him to tell him he is bugging you. Is he bugging anyone else in the band?

I have been through this with the keyboard player in our church worship team and I ended up confronting him on his behaviour and it was the best thing I could have done. I think it will work for you. Just don't do it in a confrontational way.

Our guy was bugging everyone and was asked to step down and get some counseling by our worship team leader and our pastor.

You may also want to buy the guy a bottle of Beeno and slip it into his guitar case. :D