Push / Pull pot too high. Dremel the best answer?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by NealBass, Oct 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. NealBass

NealBass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Ontario
    Sorry for the confusion. I posted the 4001CS pic as it was the only good pic I have of a control cavity. The harnesses I have are going in both my new 4001v63's. (see avatar). The 4001CS is back to it's original harness and is currently retired. I may get a fret job on it someday and put it back in action.
    To summarize: I have 2 vintage harnesses with push pulls, going in the MapleGlo and FireGlo 4001v63's that have 1 jack each. The FireGlo pickguard is about 1/16th" off the body with the vintage harness installed and the MapleGlo pickguard is about 1/8th" off the body with the vintage harness installed. When I had the vintage harness in the 4001CS it was flush.

2. NealBass

Jun 19, 2014
    Ontario
    For clarification, these are the only 2 basses I'm working on.

IMG_2 (23).jpg

This is kind of what the cavity looks like, but not the actual one (It's my 4001CS). X approximates the spot.

IMG (22).jpg

3. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    I drew this up quick at work today when I was playing hooky. If it's not legible, I'll make a copy in Illustrator, but that will take a little time.

2vi12qw.jpg

So I'm not sure what kind of switch is in the Ric. It's a weird looking switch, and I never had the time or desire to really examine it. I have to imagine it's a DPDT. The above version can use a single pole, double throw switch, but yeah, you'd have to totally disconnect the existing switch in there (and maybe even replace it). Basically what the above schematic will do, is switch one of the pickups from the "other" output on the stereo jack, to the tip of the jack, after the tone and volume controls.

This would be totally reversible, and would need no mods to the bass itself.

4. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    Neal, I can help with this when you come out on Sat. Check your PMs

NealBass likes this.
  5. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Out there!
    I haven't read through this thread past the point where Neal says he always runs the bass in ROS, so the switch is unused anyway. If this is so, wouldn't it be better to just put in a harness that is ROS only, with no switch at all? If the concern is for a future owner of the bass, then just include the original harness with the bass when it gets sold, or passed on by Neal's kids (assuming he has any), unless they just toss it in the trash as old junk? :laugh:

NealBass likes this.
  6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Out there!
    Hey, you stole the drawing I made months ago! :***: :D I was considering making a harness for my 4004L SPC to do just that, switch from mono to ROS. I may still do such once I (someday) get another Tone Hammer 500 so I can have matching amp rigs to go ROS. I don't even need a ROS box or splitter cable as the Strymon Flint I have can act as a ROS box when I run the TRS input as stereo by moving a jumper inside it. :thumbsup:

202dy and mapleglo like this.
  7. NealBass

Jun 19, 2014
    Ontario
    Looks like I have my answer (See, this is why I started this thread)! I forgot to consider that the original wiring harness will be in the case, for future users. I can wire these basses up permanently Rick-O-Sound and I won't need a push pull at all. I think this is the way I need to go. Wow. Thanks Jeff, I totally forgot that the original wiring harnesses will be in the basses cases for future users.

So, all I need are (2) 250K replacement pots and a re-wire to permanent Rick-O-Sound? Can I wire the neck pickup to the Tip and the bridge pickup to the Ring on the stereo jack, permanently? What do you think, @Aceonbass ? Also, do you recommend I get 2 matched pots from you to replace the push pulls? I guess you can't send 2 pots with the pickguard that's coming? Maybe send them separately? We can talk in PM, if you like.

I'm 99% certain that I'm going to replace the push pull with a regular volume pot and wire the bass permanently Rick-O-Sound. I'll keep the original wiring harness in the case at all times. :thumbsup:

Jeff Scott and Gilmourisgod like this.
  8. Aceonbass

Aceonbass Commercial User

Apr 10, 2004
    Parkville,Mo.
    Neal...I'll send you a wiring diagram with the pots, which unlike the originals with their "guess-what-spec-these-pots-are K OHMS" will be within 5% of rated spec! Incidentally, not all stereo output jack setups are Rick-O-Sound. Neal will be able to keep the output jack assembly I built with the Switchcraft stereo jack, which unlike the problematic mono switching jack that RIC uses, with not bind up in the channel it fits into, or short out over time.

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  9. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    You can always use an outboard A/Both/B box for Ric-O-Sound on stage or in the studio if you want to go with the either/mono/or signal chain, and for gigging or jamming mono you can replace the plug of a regular guitar cord with a stereo plug and jumper the tip and ring lugs for mono output to an amplifier or single channel DI box.

Jeff Scott and NealBass like this.