1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

push pull pots question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fender3x, Mar 8, 2008.

1. fender3x

fender3x

Mar 12, 2006
    Why are so many push-pull pots split shaft? I actually haven't found any other kind. This seems sort of strange since (I think) split shafts are for push-on knobs... So it seems like when you pull on a push-pull knob you could pull the knob off.

I have not found any solid shaft push-pull pots, even though it makes intuitive sense that you'd want to use knob with a screw you can tighten down...

What part of the logic am I missing here? Where do you guys get your push-pull pots and what sort of knobs do you use on them?

2. If its a split shaft I cut a little square of left-over plastic binding (1 to 1.5mm thick) and slot it into the split. Then you can screw in well to secure the knob without bending the shaft halves.

3. fender3x

fender3x

Mar 12, 2006
    Thanks, Al. I've gotten similar advice before. My question is really trying find out why that's necessary:confused:

Seems like if the split is a problem on a push-pull pot, somebody would make a solid shaft one. So why are they so *&^)%$ hard to find? It seems like there must be some reason they all seem to have the split...

4. I've got push-on knobs on 2 PRS guitars' push-pull pot ctrls for coil tapping and I've never pulled them off accidentally, they fit very snug, you have to ease them off with a screwdriver or steel rule. I think you may be worrying about something which no-one finds a problem with. Stop worrying. it's not good for you. Just play.