1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Push pull question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bikeguy57, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Bikeguy57

Bikeguy57 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Asheville NC
    043643C8-D477-4114-8087-5093FA312B6C.jpeg Tried this over on the hardware forum and didn’t get an answer.
    why are there two sets of lugs on the pot portion of this? The push pull only operates the switch portion. I only need three lugs like a normal pot correct? Which set do I use for the volume control? Using this for series/parallel switching on a jazz bass. Thanks.

2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    It looks like you have tabs for the wipers of the potentiometers as well as tabs for the switch. If you have the part number you can look up how many poles and how many throws it has. Most likely it's dual pole dual throw (DPDT On-On) which functions like two separate SPDT switches operated by the same actuator.

3. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Looks like some kind of dual ganged pot. Could be a blend, the only way to tell is to get a meter on it and see what it's doing.

Anything on the casing? Letters, numbers, etc.?

Where'd it come from?

AudioTaper and lokikallas like this.
  4. Bikeguy57

Mar 11, 2016
    Asheville NC
    I bought it on Reverb. After a little research, I believe the two sets of lugs are just duplicates. They mentioned stereo operation or controlling two devices with the same pot.

5. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    It's going to need to be an appropriate value for your use. For volume control, you're usually going to want a pot value around 250k or 500k. Usually audio taper, but linear taper will work, just probably won't work as evenly/predictably as you might expect. Link to the reverb ad?

And by the way everybody - he's asking about the POTENTIOMETER, not the switch.

6. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    250k-500k is assuming you've got a typical passive bass. Also applies to volume control for most on-board preamps. If you've got some kind of preamp, need to know which.

7. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    I looks like a Bourns dual audio dpdt pot.
    Were you trying to switch coils or go series/parallel?

I've used them for single/humbucker, phase/out of phase, and/or series/parallel. Usually for guitar, but if you wanted to switch active EMG TW/TWXs from humbucking/single I could see using a 25k. I knew a guy that liked humbucker/Jazz switching for his Modulus that I installed pots like these so he didn't have any extra holes cut. Active EMGs can't be switched to parallel.

Blend pot + pair of dip switches work better in my basses bc the pickups I want to switch go series-single-parallel with 4-conductor pickups. OP might be working on something different.

8. Bikeguy57

Mar 11, 2016
    Asheville NC
    Thanks for all the help. I think I have it figured out.

9. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Oh no you don’t. Not gettin’ off that easy. This is Talk Bass where no one reads previous posts and members will continue to offer information for at least 10 pages, go dormant for 15 years, and return as a zombie thread.

10. Bikeguy57

Mar 11, 2016
    Asheville NC
    I know...what the hell was I thinking.

2tonic and AudioTaper like this.
  11. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    Hit a guitar forum for this type of stuff, they're more apt to use this type of pot.

Same schematic gets passed around for single humbucker guitars ad nauseum.

12. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I think I have your pot - ok, that just sounded wrong... i believe mine is Bourns, and I was able to use it as a push-pull series parallel switch. I don’t remember what lugs land where, but do remember the little redundant lugs. I ignored them and my push-pull tone knob works fine. If you do get stuck, shoot me a message and I will open my control plate and post a pic.

13. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Now that we’ve answered the OP’s question, time to derail the thread. suggestions?

ThinCrappyTone and 2tonic like this.
  14. All pots suck the tone out of a bass, go pickup straight to output jack. All the volume and tone is in your fingers. Or at least in mine. Instead of series parallel switching, just flip the bass over and play left handed for a more dramatic change in sound.

terlewine and 2tonic like this.
  15. Bikeguy57

Mar 11, 2016
    Asheville NC
    Thanks man, appreciate it!

Wfrance3 likes this.
  16. 2tonic

2tonic

Dec 22, 2015
    Oh, no you don't.
    TB rule 626.44, subchapter C, paragraph III.........states clearly that thou shalt not solve thy own dilemma and slink out.
    You must tell the viewing cognoscenti what you figured out, so that we may ponder, stroke our chins/beards/whatever, gesticulate wildly, and tell you that you've got it all wrong!

It's state law!!! :D

17. I'm from WAAAAY out of state, but I respect this law.

2tonic likes this.
  18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 26, 2020