1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

push pull switch

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mike phillips, Dec 16, 2009.

1. lookin to add a push pull switch to my jazz. i heard a 250k linear switch is what i need to use. any one brand better than the other? is radio shack an option? does switchcraft make one? i dont mind spendin the money but i dont want junk. thanks, mike

2. AFAIK, Radioshack sells pots, but they do not manufacture their own.

I'd be amazed if you could find the right value, taper and shaft size in a pot at Radioshack, let alone find a push/pull.

Switchcraft makes connectors and jacks, not pots.

Allparts sells a 250K linear push/pull btw:
    http://www.allparts.com/250K-Linear-Pot-p/ep-0345-000.htm

3. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    i would look at what pot you have in your jazz now and then buy one that matches but with the dpdt switch. Check warmoth (www.warmoth.com), that is where i bought mine from.

Good Luck

4. -1.

First off, Warmoth doesn't sell linear taper pots.

But mainly, the pots they sell are push/push rather than push/pull.
    I tried one of their push/push pots and it felt very cheap and it is very easy to break if you accidentally pull on it.

5. am i correct in thinkin linear is the way to go? thanks for all comments

6. It depends on what you are using it for.

Definitely use a linear taper pot for volume controls, but stick with an audio taper for the tone control.

7. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007

-1 to my reading skills, I just ordered 4 last week, thinking they were push/pull, didn't even know push/push existed.:meh:

8. when i do this i install the push pull pot where the neck volume knob is?

9. It doesn't matter.
    You can put it on whichever control you find most convenient.
    As I said though, you want to keep an audio taper tone control, so actually you should only put it on one of the volume controls.

10. will the factory fender tone control pot suffice?

11. ?

12. can i use the original tone pot that came from the factory?

13. Aren't you replacing one of the pots with the push/pull?

14. Have I gone completely insane, or shouldn't it be log for volume and linear for tone?

15. You would think that that's how it should be, but no.

Linear taper pots give you a much smoother volume control than audio. You don't get that big drop rolling down from "10" to around "8-ish" in the rotation.

I argued about this for a long time before finally deciding to just try it out, and linear taper pots definitely work better.

As far as tone controls though, the linear taper doesn't seem to do very much until almost the end of the rotation when used as a tone pot, so for that reason, it's best to stick with audio.

16. Okay, that doesn't really make much sense to me, but I haven't tested it and I can't remember what I put in my last rebuild so I'll take your word for it. :D

17. yes, the neck volume pot. keepin the bridge pot and tone pot.

18. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    D'oh! ...i though they were push/pull but I just checked them and you're right....push/push.

19. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    You've gone completely insane!

Generally in an active bass circuit you'd be right. But in a passive bass the loading on the volume control actually changes the resistance of the pot vs angle (taper). It turns out a linear volume pot is more "log" than an log one! Also for tone a similar thing happens because of the way that circuit works and a log taper gives much more control over your tone.

20. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I don't know about these exact pots but my Yamaha Image has a push/push on it and it works just fine. On that one the knob sort of jumps out in one position so you can tell which way it's set. I presume yours are like that too. It's hard to say about a "cheap" feel, but I never had any problem with mine and the push-push mechanism is actually much faster and easier to operate than a push-pull.