Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Push/Pull Tone Pot...any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BASSnSAX, Aug 2, 2003.

1. On/Off --- So I don't have to mess with 2 volumes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Series/Parallel --- For differences in sound

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Other --- Please state

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. I have all that I need for a full "gutting" of my SX fretless bass... This is the "recipe"

Custom made pickguard (very...interesting)
    Bart 9JS and 9JL pups
    AllParts Adjustable Brass Nut
    J-Bass Knobs
    2 new volume pots
    1 new mono-input jack (already installed)
    1 additional string retainer (already installed)
    AND
    1 Push/Pull pot Tone knob.

What do you suggest that I wire the push/pull for? And how would you go about wiring that?

2. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    I personally wouldn't put anymore money into an SX. A cheap bass is still going to sound like a cheap bass, as I've found with my Ibanez GSR 200 with EMG's. The EMG's cost almost as much as the bass did, and no amount of money is going to make it sound awesome. I would ditch the SX and buy a decent fretless instead of pumping money into a bass that will have zero resale value.

Though if you're dead-set in modding your SX, I'd make the push-pull a series-parallel switch... though I'd also add a blend pot, leaving a master volume and master tone.

Dave

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

series/parallel of course.
    Best move you could make for a Jazz Bass.

I too think that installing all this on an Essex is pointless.

4. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    +1 I agree with JazzAd. I did the same operation on my JazzV last year. You wanna talk thunder? This thing will kick your ass. ;)

(Hi Jazzy! :D)

5. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Mind telling me where you found that Adjustable Brass Nut for Jazz (1.5")? I just went through AllParts catalogue, and only found version for a Precision.

6. Yup, thats the width of my fretless neck though. And I'm pumping all this money in, because my band won battle of the bands and each of us got $250 store credit to my not-so-favorite of music stores. I'm doing this all also for the experience.

AND I love my SX, its really really comfortable to me.

7. Quick bump and question,

What are the tonal characteristics of series wiring? Thanks.