1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Push-pull volume pot problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DivideByZero, Jan 21, 2020.

1. DivideByZero

DivideByZero

May 19, 2019
    Hello! I couldn’t find any thread about this problem and i’m not sure this is the right subforum but a month or so ago the volume pot on my bass started acting weird. At first when i was in passive mode (pulled) i noticed that it didn’t sound like i was on full volume even though the pot was on full. It jumped back and forth between full and about half the output when i moved it and also when i banged on the pickguard. It still worked in active mode (pushed) but last week it started to fail in active mode also. When i press down on the pot with a bit of force i get full output but as soon as i let go it goes down to about half. Is there anyone who recognize this problem and knows any fixes? Do i need to order a new one maybe?

2. Sounds like potentially a problem with the switch or the pot itself. Take a good look at the connections on the pot and switch and make sure they are ok. Maybe even reflow the soldier on all the connections if you have an iron. If that doesn’t help, replace it. I have one push pull that does almost the same thing intermittently I just don’t play that bass enough to be frustrated enough to replace it.

3. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Before replacing, I'd personally spray it out and see if that helps. That's the easiest thing to try.
    If it doesn't work, remove the pot from the mounting, visually inspect it to see if there's something going on with it where it's flexing or broken or making a weird ground connection somewhere.
    And if that doesn't help, do what Matt suggested.

Matt Liebenau likes this.
  4. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Yes, spraying some Detoxit in the pot might fix your problem.

rojo412 likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 26, 2020