1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Push/Push pot advice

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by charlie monroe, May 20, 2011.

1. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Hi TB. I am wrenching on a franken p (long time Jazz guy, first P!), and currently I have 2005 USA Standard p/u with S1 Switching bolted onto a 2003 Highway 1.

I have a Stan Hinesly I want to drop in, and I wondered a few things about pots.

Should I pull the S1 out and drop in a 250/250/.047 setup? I know that the S1 gets some love around here.
    Do very many players use 500's? I haven't demo'd it yet, but the Stan is supposed to run pretty hot.

About 250 vs 500, I think I know that the 500 can be brighter, but if you don't dime it will it have the same characteristics as a 250?

Can you wire up a push/push pot as volume/kill switch? It would be nice if one side of the pot was standard volume and the other side merely opens the circuit. If this is possible, can you explain it to me?

Thanks for any opinions

2. The difference between 250k and 500k pots is subtle. I wouldn't worry about it.

Killswitch wiring is easy, but you DON'T want to just interrupt the signal path. That will leave you with an infinite output impedance, so it would sound like an open cable buzzing.
    If the bass is passive, you can just short the output. If the bass is active, you will want to short the output, and disconnect the signal from it.

3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Thanks line6.

Yes it is a passive bass.So on the kill side I should join signal to my ground lug?

4. Yes.

Also, as a side note, I'm not a fan of push/push pots. They feel cheap. Push/pull pots seem sturdier.

5. Grant Bass

Grant Bass

Oct 14, 2010
    this is pretty much exactly what i want to do!
    perhaps one of you could describe (or crude drawing) of making the p/p a killswitch;
    i wanted to have one for each pickup; to kill one or both; individually, with perhaps a master killswitch on the tone?
    would i be in the right ballpark if i wired the pot part like a normal pot, and ground out the one side of the 'tower'? im trying to make it work with trial and error, but its just not working;
    much apprecitaed; i really suck :)

6. I'll draw you a diagram.
    Two volumes and a tone, or what?

7. Grant Bass

Grant Bass

Oct 14, 2010
    yes sir.
    :D
    thank you very much

8. 5806689461_65115f9810_o.

If you are using passive pickups, you can short the input and output terminals on the master killswitch.

9. Grant Bass

Grant Bass

Oct 14, 2010
    thank you sooo much line6man; i will be workin this tamarrow!!

10. Jimg5512

Jimg5512

Aug 6, 2011
    St. Paul, MN
    Hey guys I too could use some help,

I just put in two DiMarzio's 123's into my Jazz and would like opinions on should I change out the 250's for a push/pull set up so that I can run them in either series or parallel? If this sounds like a good idea can you please recommend where and what parts to get to make this happen... My set up now is with the stock Geedy Lee 250"s

Help!!

11. Three A250k push/pull pots; reuse the existing capacitor and jack. (Or, you might consider linear taper volume pots, while you're swapping parts.)
    3781820512_c421120d47_o.