Pushed in Speaker Cone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jnprather, Jun 1, 2002.

1. Hi all... I just got my Goliath III back from service (check the thread 'SWR Service Problem, San Jose, CA.' for all the gory details)... anyway, it was given back to me with a pushed in cone... one of the speakers that wasn't repaired has the cone pushed in... the indentation is probably about 2-3 inches square right in the middle of it. This really pisses me off, but i'm wondering if this is really something I should worry about tone-wise, and if this is something I should try to "fix" on my own or leave be or what...

Thanks in advance,

2. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    I don't think think a pushed in cone will affect the tone at all. The cone is there only to keep dirt & **** out of the internal areas of the speaker.
  3. It may not effect the sound, but hey man... that's like bringing your car in for an oil change and getting it back with a big scratch on the fender. I'd talk to someone where you got it repaired... as a matter of principle!

I feel your pain :(
  4. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    try using one of those home cleaning vacuums...the ones that have hoses. If u can get a "somewhat" gentle difference of air pressure and put the hose end on the speaker cone (after somehow getting the grill off, you might be able to pop it back into place
  5. For anyone that has not tried this . . . it does work rather well.
  6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I saw a guy at a boom car shop fix a tweeter in a similar way - he had an eyedropper with a suction cup tip. He gently grabbed onto the mylar and popped it back out.

I'd still go back to the shop and complain...
  7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Actually the part your thinking of is the dust cap, the cone is the outer part.

It usually isnt a problem, but sometimes can be.

What happens sometimes is that when its pushed back, the dust cap either seperates from the cone, or actually gets some tears in it.

Theyre usually really small and not noticeable unless you inspect it.

The problem with this is that you get air going in and out through this small hole and it starts to wistle, or the dustcap vibrates against the cone and it makes a really irritating noise.

Even if yours is ok, take it back. Maybe they'll be more careful from now on.

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I've used masking tape to pull out pushed in dust caps too.

I took a small loop of masking tape (adhesive side out) and gently rup the backing after touching it to the dome. Once it's attached, gently pull up on the tape.

Remove it from the dome with a gentle rolling action so you don't tear off some of the dome's paper.

Slow and gentle are the words to key on.

Good luck!!!
  9. gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    I actually pushed in the cones on my swr 4x8 cab to stop them from buzzing. It's kept them buzz free for years.