Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pushic Custum sound compared to ...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheGeneral, Mar 27, 2002.

1. I realize there are quite a few DP custom owners on this forum, and I has piqued my interest. My question to all of the DP custom owners is this: how would you describe the differences/similarities in sound and feel to some basses that I know, such as F bass, Surine, Cirrus, or Mike Lull?
    G

2. You can't really compare because you can have a DP custom sound practically however you want because you are choosing the woods and electronics....

3. Perhaps a better question would be, "How does the quality of woods (and components although these are your choice as well) compare" to your familiar brands.:) I'm not a DP owner (yet!).;)

4. I think I did a good job with my woods, with Dave's help. he suggested the ash, and I think he was spot on for what I was after. I told him I wanted something that would cut thru.

as far as the sound, I'm totally stoked. mine has Bart quad coil pickups, bart preamp, schaller tuners and bridge. the bass seems to be a "Jack of all trades". it can sound like a P (close), or like a J, when the humbuckers are on it sounds thick like a stingray. note: it doesn't sound exactly like these, but real close. you got to remember it's neck thru, so there is a lot of sustain and different characteristics than them bolt ons I mentioned. but it's good characteristics. :D

5. Prague77

Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    his craftmanshio compares to kinal basses so i have heard. he is right up there with the top notch makers. if he ever gets a bad review, most likely its because the customer desinged the bass himself..

6. Busk

Busk

Jan 31, 2002
    These bases look pretty cool, but how's the sustain, neck feel and build? I need some full reviews.

7. Busk

Busk

Jan 31, 2002
    Thanks. Good luck with it. It loks awesome. Any more reviews from others?

8. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Well, at least in one case (a TB member who got one some time ago) the bass was so poorly assembled it became unplayable. I don't mean to badmouth Dave, only remind everyone that nobody is perfect. But if you live in the States, shipping back and forth to Dave for repairs is no big deal, but to the unfortunate TalkBasser mentioned above it was a nightmare.

The thread which contained the complaint was wiped away from the boards. I never understood why.

9. Busk

Busk

Jan 31, 2002
    Ooooh...unplayable....That's not good.

I am imagining ordering a bass and having it spontaneously disassemble into a pile a neck wood strips and body sides.

Of course, from what others have said, Dave's basses seem playable.

10. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Yes, this was hopefully the only bad apple of the bunch... like one in a thousand or something. Statistically speaking it shouldn't happen again. ;)

11. Prague77

Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    i heard about this. what exactly happend? all i know was that only the frets were messed up and he was going to send it back. how did it become unplayable?

12. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    The frets popped out of the fretboard. If that's not unplayable I don't know what is.

13. Prague77

Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    that was probably due to his climate. i imagine its very humid over there and it messed his bass up.

14. Luis lives in a tropical country, I think it was because of this that his frets popped up. Dave doesn't use any glue to hold his frets in. he says that is takes away from the tone. I bet if you really wanted, he would glue 'em in for you. I far as I understood, Dave did everything he could to resolve the issue with him.
    I found the thread using the search funtion, so I know is was on here still just recently.

15. I posted a sound clip of my DP in the other thead entitled "Lean Mean DPCustom Zebra Machine".
    it's a low quality file so realize that when you listen to it. aslo take into consideration of who is playing it, a guy named chump stain.;)

16. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Please show me where.

17. I said it WAS on here. I don't know which one got deleted, but I remember Luis explaining the situation himself. I dont remember how long ago it was, but I read everything I could on DP custom's before I decided to buy one. that was in November last year, so I figured I read it sometime around then.

18. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    OK Chumpo, it's just that you said "just recently" - bugged me a bit since I think 4-5 months is a pretty long time. ;)

And I don't think Ecuador has a "worse" climate for basses than e.g. Florida.