1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pushing a Tube Pre-amp hard into the effects loop of a Tube amp...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by recreate.me, Aug 27, 2012.

1. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    So i picked up a BATT here in the classifieds (Thanks!) and noticed that if i put the BATT into the effects loop of my YBA200-2 the signal gets amplified by the pre-amp in the YBA (as normal) but then sends to the single tube pre and power in the BATT and becomes very distorted and then sends that back into the power amp of the YBA and can be set to whatever level i need.

This effectively allows me to get pre amp and power tube distortion from the BATT, and then gets EQ'd by the YBA and amplified to bedroom levels.

My question here is this is obviously really pushing the BATTs tubes but is it pushing the tubes in YBA power amp by receiving (and probably suppressing) that cranked signal?

2. rickdog

rickdog Gold Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Basically, no. If you were pushing the tubes in the YBA power amp, you'd need a REALLY BIG bedroom - or ear protection.

You're overdriving the BATT (that's what it's made for, right?), then attenuating that signal before it hits the power amp.

3. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    I also recently bought a BATT on here! :smug: To answer the question, you're only pushing the BATT's internal amplifier and not your YBA's power section (until you get loud).

Even though I have a surplus of tube amps, I'll be GASsing for an orphaned tube power amp to run it into to do exactly what you're doing until I fix my 300 Pro. There's an old Peavey Deuce for $95 locally that would surely make a cool sub $100 100w tube power section to use with my BATT... :D

4. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    Oh yeah, I was messing around with the BATT as just a practice head of its one but connecting with the speaker out it only allows use of a single volume knob so while it sounds awesome at low levels it's actually too loud when it's pushed full out.
    I tried it in the loop of my walkabout and didn't get the same overdrive sound so I think the three tube pre amp sending the signal to a tube power and preamp back to a tube power amp really makes a difference.

I was afraid that attenuating such a driven signal would hurt my YBAs power section.

Thanks!