Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Put epoxy on my fretless, have questions

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bkchang79, Nov 9, 2002.

1. I put epoxy on my fingerboard today and now the expoxy looks spotty on the fingerboard (some wet, some doesn't look like it was coated) How can I fix this? I cleaned the fingerboard as my as I could wtih dentured alcohol.

2. Also, my expoxy is sticky.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    sounds like it didn't mix right. One of the 2 parts is the hardner.

Sorry I don't know how to fix it other then remove what you've done and try again.

:( sorry

4. Sand it off and try again.

5. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Just about any method that you use to remove it is going to be unbelievably messy, including sanding.

M.E.K. is almost a universal catalyst for epoxy. I would suggest dampening a small cloth pad with MEK and wiping any epoxy off that didn't set up. The residual MEK should be plenty to catalyze the epoxy. You can get MEK at most boat supply stores.

Put the bass in direct sunlight immediately. Sunlight will accelerate the hardening tremendously.

If you applied the epoxy to a board that has ever had silicon polish or cleaner put on it you are going to have a real mess on your hands. Alcohol will not remove it and NO kind of finish will work right on it.

A good rule to follow is always try a small spot before you apply any finish over any surface.

Good luck. You will need it!

Pkr2

6. You can get M.E.K. at any hardware store also. You must be careful while using it. It is a peroxide, so it loves to make the reactions happen. Make sure you have gloves on (nitrile would be good). M.E.K. will absorb directly into your skin. Not incredibly toxic, but it's definetly not flintstone vitamins.

I'd just sand the stuff off, and try again. I never do anything right the first time, and look forward to doing it again. I know I'll be better at it the second time. This could be why I don't keep girlfriends more than a month. Lol.

Good luck.

7. Well I sand everything down and started over again. I put a light coat of epoxy on and it's looking good so far, until my girlfriend touched it. Hopefully I can sand that part down, but it's looking good so far. How many coats do I need?

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    "Methyl ethyl ketone can cause human health effects through inhalation, ingestion, and contact with the skin. Since methyl ethyl ketone is a natural component of some foods, ingestion of food is also a source of exposure. Its health effects are similar to but more irritating than acetone. Its vapor is irritating to mucous membranes and conjunctiva. Exposure can irritate the eyes, nose, and head; it can cause dizziness, fatigue, memory alteration, dermatitis, headaches, nausea, paresthesia of extremities, diminished vision, acidosis, and vomiting. Prolonged exposure can cause central nervous system depression."

Methyl Ethyl Ketone

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hey, the same warning should be put on Big Mac wrappers. MEK has very similar properties as most mineral spirits (paint thinner). If you use it outside or in a very well ventilated are, with protective rubber gloves, health risks should be minimal.