Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Put in new pots..wonder what I did wrong?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Gintaras, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I have a squier precision 5. Last month I put in Bart Jazz pu's...great improvement. Realized from this forum that I should have also replaced the pots. The originals were 500 ohm so I got the same in the CME brand. I first painted the interior with Stewart Mcdonald copper sheilding paint. Replaced all 3 pots and used the same capacitor.

Now here is the problem!!!! When I turn either volume pot, the volume goes up very little till I get to around 8 and then it jumps up sharply. I do not have a steady volume increase.....PLEASE HELP!!!

I did have one problem after assembly and had to adjust the fit on the jack. I had to shorten the length between the 2 nuts holding it in. The pu's did not work at all till I changed that distance?!?!?

Gus :crying:

My wife says that I need adult supervision....

2. volume pots need to be audio taper...tone pots need to be linear

sounds like you have linear taper volume pots...

the linear taper pots will work, but the controls will be very touchy.

About the jack problem, I'm sorry, I'm having trouble understanding what you are trying to say there.

3. Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    There are 2 nuts on the shaft of the jack that can adjust the length of the jack that sticks out from the plate. When I changed the length that stuck out of the jack plate, then the pu's started to work.

Thanks for explaining the problem about the pots. Luckily they are inexpensive and easy to change. I am starting to get my soldering technique back after a 20 yr hiatus :hyper:

4. hmmmm...that's strange...

either....your plug didn't go in the whole way at first...or...
    perhaps you didn't (and don't) have the ring (outermost conductor) of your jack soldered and it only works when it contacts the shielding of your control cavity...or...you have a wonky jack that needs replacing...

perhaps when you change the pots you can slap in another jack, too for good measure....

5. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Sounds like the jack was touching the sheilding?

6. ahhh...true...the tip connection could have been shorting to the shield...

I find that if you use a plastic or cardboard tube around your jack that this can never happen...or just a loose wrap of electrical tape...

7. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    question on the pots...i am going to change mine as well and planned on using Fender repalcement pots 250ks...are the liner and audio pots marked on the package or on the pot? I dont want to make the same mistake he did here...sorry to highjack the thread...hope you get this fixed.

8. Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    After I got my answer, I then went onto ebay, stewart mcdonald and Allparts and they all mention the different types. I read on this forum that the best pots are CME's. I got those on ebay but at the time did not know about linear vs audio.

Thanks to everyone that answered my questions on the pots and my elusive jack situation.

:)

9. hmmmm...interesting...went to musiciansfriend.com and looked at their Fender replacement pots and they say "tone or volume"...

hopefully this means that they're audio taper...but I couldnt be sure....anyone?

10. Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    according to the first reply that I got, you should use audio taper for volume and linear taper for tone.

11. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Well i guess if you use audio for both tone and volume it would be ok? I went to a local music store and they had two 250k pots from a company called HD...the store owner gave then to me even thou they were marked $4.50 ea. :D He said i hope they work and that they were here awhile...both are packaged and sealed. I want to change them along with a new cap and jack in my SX P bass tonight hope they are alright there is no markings on them only 250k and MD i think. I dont remember seeing any markings like liner or audio marked on the Fender pots i saw last week.

12. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Why not invest in a cheap multimeter? You can pick one up in the hrdw store for less than $10.00.

Handiest thing in the world for trouble shooting a basses electronics. Checking pots to determine thier taper and value. How to figure out what the pot is when no value is stamped on it. Even a rough test on the tone cap can be done.

you'll be glad you got it. :)

madjazzbass likes this.
  13. +1 I bought a cheapo...batteries died...I couldn't get into the case to replace the batteries... :scowl: ...went out and got a $20 one instead of the cheapo $10 one... :)

multi-meters are indispensible tools. Now I'm trying to demonstrate to my CFO, the merits of a storage oscilloscope...:D

14. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    "The originals were 500 ohm so I got the same in the CME brand"
    Unless this is a typo. Your originals were probably 500k (500,000) ohms not 500. You sure you got the correct replacements?

15. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Yes it's ok. That's "normal". It's generally considered a "mod" to use linear taper. Linear works great for tone controls.

When you look at the markings on the pot, A= audio and B = linear. So "A250" is 250K audio. "B500" would mean 500K linear. Easy enough? Have fun tweakin.

16. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    The pots i installed were HD (company) and the pots were stamped MK 250k thats it. I wired it up and she sounds good although it was quiet from the factory so i see no improvement. I guess they were both audio...since they were free i win? The SX P bass i modded had really small pots like 1/4 of the size of a normal pot i feared the larger replacments wouldnt fit the routing but they did. The SX pots were marked A500 and B500 i was surprised they were 500K pots...are Split pups like a P bass considered Humbuckers or single poles? I was told they are single poles but i thought you used a 500K with humbuckers? Oh well she sounds good.

17. Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    My squire precision 5 had 500k and I replaced them with the same. the bass sounds clearer with the new pots. Obviously the electronics in my bass were junk. I had already replaced the pu's with Bart Jazz and the pots became the weak link.