Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Put Model J's in MIA Deluxe Jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Cantstandsya, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    The music store my friend works at had a set a DiMarzio Model J's that had been sitting around for quite some time.He gave them to me for $35 including installation.I thought it was a pretty good deal but I have no idea what they normally cost. They are a big improvement over the stock pickups in my MIA Deluxe Jazz.Way more lows and mids but a little less highs.I hardly have to use my 3-band EQ at all now. I used to have to add a lot of mids to be heard at all and the bass was really lacking.Now I actually have to cut a little of the bass and I set the mids flat.They don't have the crisp highs of the stock pickups but a ton of output and still a really nice tone(even for slapping).My bass seems to be twice as loud as before.My only complaint is the ugly cream color,but it was the only set they had and I prefer sound over looks.

2. Whoa. You know Cantstandsya, you practically got those pups for free. They're $79.00 a pair at Musiciansfriend. You got them for $35.00, installed?
    Basically you just paid for installation, and got a pretty good price on that to boot. I may join your ranks soon; I have a MIM Jazz, and the stock pups hum like crazy.

Good luck with them,
    Mike J.

3. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I think that they were very old .My buddy said they got them from another music store that went out of business.I don't know how old but the list price on them was $69.95.Also the adjustable pole pieces are silver , not black like the ones they make now.I dont think you can go wrong with these pickups Mike.They sound great.Good luck to you.........

4. AndersK2

AndersK2

Sep 11, 2000
    Get new black pickup covers and they are perfect!