Put ProSteels back on my Jazz...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by tplyons, Jan 12, 2006.

1. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Used ProSteels when they first came out, on my Stingray. Then it was XL Nickel's on my P-Bass, then out of habit, I strung my Marcus Miller Jazz with 'em.

For Christmas, I asked for a bunch of sets of XL's and a set of ProSteels. Put them on my Miller Jazz last night and she really came alive! Even more alive than she was.

Honestly, these are probably my favorite string out there :)
  2. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Pro Steels are good and for a steel string they are not real coarse. They sound better than the XL nickels do.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Glad ya think so, I like them and the XL nickels.

I find the ProSteels give more of a modern crunch and the XL Nickels tend to be warmer and more vintagey.
  4. Low_blow

May 14, 2005
    Prosteels are good strings, but I liked Prisms more. Prisms sound more 'open' to me. Comparing Prosteels to XL nickels, Prosteels live longer on your bass and their tension is a bit lower.
  5. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Just got back from laying down a bass track on a song in the studio, and I put a set of Prosteels on my Pedulla Rapture 5 just this AM. First time I've tried Prosteels (which was a little adventurous since I was studio bound with a new kind of string), but I use XLs on my fretless and I have generally been pleased with D'Addario strings over the years. I know that some who have posted about these on other threads hate them, but I liked them quite a lot. Not harshly bright and not as rough than some brands I've used. Since it was my first experience with them, I haven't formed a full idea of the sound, but my first impression was very positive. Lows seemed clear and authoritative, mids were articulate, highs were sweet and not as cutting as some others.
  6. rbrown13

rbrown13 supporting member

Sep 9, 2005
    bakersfield ca,
    yep, I agree with the original post, my stingray 5 loves the prosteels, but they seem to go dead fairly quick, It seems like every bass I own likes a different string, one of my all around favorites though is the warwick black labels, a friend of mine is endorsed by warwick, I did work on one of basses, and he turned me on to a couple of sets of the warwicks, and they sound warm and tight on just about everything I put them on,It's just my opinion.
  7. I love prosteels, i went from Nickle XLs to Prosteels and im very satisfied. They feel great, and i think they give me a little be extra growl Which is always a nice thing.
  8. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    I liked ProSteels on my Sadowsky RV5. They were a litte mid shy. I recently tried Ken Smith SS. They have a similiar sound with a bit more mids. But I have not gotten past the new string feeling yet.

9. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    The Pro-Steels are smoother than DR's.
  10. Pro Steels on my fretted and XL's on my fretless!!!
    Mystic Michael likes this.