Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Put The Bass Down - & Walk Away!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by HHHolmes, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Got to put this out there -

After watching the Grammys this past week & seeing the Kid Rock/Sheryl Crow song :confused: - maybe it's the way I approach bass playing, but she ain't much on the bass!

I don't mind looking at her & she always seems to have a cool axe, but come on - give a real player a gig!!

She's got the dough & she can still pose with an acoustic guitar if she wants.

Anyway - she's got my vote.

Who else out there needs "to walk away"?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I happen to think that what she plays on her recordings serve the songs very well. She is no Victor Wooten(neither am I) but she can play.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'm just happy that she saw the error of her ways. I'm not a racist or anything like that, but those guitarist.......

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    :confused:

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    LOL!!!
    I'm kind of a "bass supremacist". :D

6. She got through her first 2 albums with a session guy - then the record company probably whispered in her ear "Strap on a bass - you'll be just like Tia Carrera in Wayne's World" :D :D

mmmmm - Tia Carrera :bassist:

Maybe i should have started with a dude example.

7. He's not racist, he's bassist.

Okay, that joke sucked. :spit:

8. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yeah, Kid Rock needs to walk away from every instrument he tries to play. He's always hopping on the drums and ripping the guitar away from the guitarist, attempting to scratch. He needs to stop.

9. I disagree, HHH, I thought she played what was required for the song, nothing more, nothing less. If she had employed a bassist, it's likely he/she would not have played any different. When she used to use Hutch, he often played extremely simple lines. yet he's as good as it gets.

10. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    :D

Well, I thought it was funny.

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Pretty good list... if you add me it would be pretty good. I think the Hulkster might be OK on the bass though. I've heard rumors.

About Ms. Crow, I think she's OK at bass. I liked the bass for that "All I wanna do" song.

12. Originally posted by StupidMatt

About Ms. Crow, I think she's OK at bass. I liked the bass for that "All I wanna do" song.

Good Line - not her, session guy - I don't recall his name at the moment & I don't have her CD handy - go figure.

Sorry - I'm still leaning towards letting her go back & pose with her guitar - but then, that's what these boards are for - letting people state their lame opinions :D

(& I got plenty :eek: )

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

OK you win.

14. no way when did hulk hogan start playing bass!!! Is the hollywood hogan in a cool Rawk band!!!

But anyway I also think that Wooten guy shoud stop posing on bass and go back to the cello...
    (Just joking, even though he is really good on the cello).

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

16. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    I hate to be so negative, but I really can't stand Sheryl Crow after she took writing credit for Leaving Las Vegas and other tunes that were really written by Kevin Gilbert and others during jam sessions that she had very little to do with.

And I agree with the original post - I'm not into her bass playing. Sure, it's simple, and it works, but her grooves certainly don't inspire me.