Put Your Chili Recipes in Here!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nick Gann, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I need a good chili recipe. Lay 'em on me!
  2. Yes, bring on the recipee's. I would like em as hot as you know how.
  3. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    That is a big 10-4, incase you guys were wondering how hot I like it.

If I ain't bright red and sweatin' it ain't chili!! :D
  4. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    can of spicey v8, ground beef, chilli seasoning.

heat up to entirley too hot, put it in a bowl, serve with fritos ;)
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    just take a bunch of savory foods mix them together in a bowl and chop up a lot of spicy peppers.

chili powder, spicy spike,dried/crushed jalapenos, gunpowder.

it's all good.

mix it up in a big stew and serve with bread.

6. that will mix up well for some explosive diarrhea

;) :D

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    so what you wanted hot... yeesh:rolleyes:

8. 1 pound ground beef
    1 pound cubed beef
    1 green bell pepper
    1 jalapeno
    1/2 onion
    1 can tomato sauce
    1 can chili beans or Hormel hot chili with beans
    1 package of chili mix (I usualy use carrol shelby's but I have used others also)
    garlic salt
    cayenne pepper
    fresh ground black pepper
    favorite hot sauce

chop/mince peppers and onion
    brown beef with pepper and onions and drain off the fat.
    Add the tomato sauce beans and chili mix.
    Start bringing up to temprature.
    Start flavoiring to taste with garlic salt pepper and hot sauce.

If you can, once you get the flavor right put the chili in a crock pot(slow cooker) and walk away for about an hour and a half.

I have never had a complaint about my chili other than its a little warm for the faint of hart :D
    but even they think it tastes good.
  9. First rule of chili making is..... dont use a friggen recipe:D

That being said the basics for chili making are pretty simple, fodders recipe is pretty basic and will give you a good solid chili.

I would substitue the cubed beef for hot turkey sausage (but thats just my preference) brown that with the burger and then add about a cup and a half of tequila let the alchohol burn out then add one of your favorite beers and let that simmer with all your dry spices.

In a seperate pan carmalize some onions and add sweet peppers, I use green,red,yellow, and orange. All have a different flavor and plus it makes it look all pretty:D As far is hot peppers, its up to you, Alot of people try to be macho and say the hotter the better, but trust me a few habenaro peppers thrown in there will melt your skin.

Anyways After they are pretty well cooked add that to the meat pot and add, tomato sauce until you get the consistency that you want. Let cook very slow for a couple hours.

Serve with home made corn bread

This is by now means the only way to get a great chili, but with much experimenting it is what I have found to be the best way to make it. ;)
  10. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Any other recipes? Cannon-Fodder, I like the looks of yours, I think I'm gonna try that soon, this weekend possibly. I like FatFunker's suggestion of the hot turkey sausage in there. I will report back as soon as I make it. Anyone got anything else?
  11. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Quick but decent chili:

1-1.5 lb. ground beef (substitute ground turkey or veggie crumbles if you like)
    1 med. onion, chopped
    2-4 cloves garlic, minced
    Texas or creole/cajun seasoning blend such as TexJoy or Zatarain's (a mix of salt pepper, garlic and cayenne) to taste
    quarter cup chili powder.
    1 tsp. comino (cumin)
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1 can Ro-Tel brand tomatoes
    1 can tomato sauce.
    There are no beans in Texas chili, but add a can of "Ranch Style" beans if you really must.
    Heat adding agent of your choice (I like/recommend Cholula hot sauce) to taste

brown meat along with onion, garlic and salt/pepper seasoning mix. Drain off as much or as little fat as you like, add chili powder and cumin, mix. Add tomatoes/sauce and simmer. All done!
  12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

ooh yeah! :cool:

good stuff, have it with my eggs.
  13. Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    1 each large onion, diced
    3 pounds stew meat or chili meat or combination of both, chopped bite size
    2 cloves garlic or 1 tablespoon prepared garlic
    4 tablespoons chili powder
    2 tablespoons cumin or comino powder
    1 pinch red pepper flakes
    1 15 oz can stewed tomatoes, drained and chopped
    1 15 oz can tomato sauce
    1 big pinch salt
    1 pinch cayenne pepper (to taste)
    1 15 oz can water
    2 tablespoons bacon grease

Brown meat on all sides.

Drain excess water and grease from meat.

Add all ingredients to pot and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat and simmer for two hours, or until meat is tender.

Make final check for salt and cayenne and adjust to your taste.

Serve with fritos crumbled on top.

14. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I had to dig up this old thread because I just got schooled in making a *real* bowl of red. Please disregard the silly little recipe I posted earlier - this is chili at the next level. This recipe will give you chili similar in appearance and texture to popular canned chili -- except -- get this -- it doesn't taste like dog food! What's more, I came up with a vegetarian version that is easily the most authentic-tasting vegetarian chili I've ever had.

Here goes:

Brown 2 lb. of chili meat (coarse ground beef) with several cloves of chopped garlic. Once browned, add two cans of chicken broth, one 15-oz can of tomato sauce, and salt, if your chicken broth is low/no sodium variety (the recipe I was given called for a bit of MSG. Most will probably opt to leave this out, but hey, this isn't exactly health food. Add about a half teaspoon at this point, if so inclined). Simmer for one hour. Mix in a bowl 4 tablespoons flour, 4 tablespoons chili powder, and a half tablespoon of cumin/comino. In a small skillet, start with 5 Tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Add the flour/chili powder mix slowly to make a roux. Fry this gently for no more than five minutes, then add to the chili. Simmer for another thirty minutes or so and behold the glorious red!

I simply substituted two 12 oz. bags of Morningstar farms 'veggie crumbles' and used vegetable broth instead of chicken, and reduced the simmer time a little to make the vegetarian version.

15. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    make some of this when you come into town so we can show Thor what Texass gas is like

16. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Oh yeah! I've succeeded in scaring both cats off the bed, courtesy of my latest batch!

17. 1 can of diced tomatoes
    1 small can of tomato sauce
    1 small can of tomoato paste
    1 package of mushrooms, sliced
    5-6 cloves of garlic, smashed, and dumped in
    1.5 packets of those Chili packets
    1 package of ground beef
    Dab of chili powder
    1 can of Red Kidney beans

Cook the beef (brown), throw in all of the remaining ingredients and let simmer, stirring frequently.

I am the king.
  18. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    2 lbs. Ground Beef
    1 Medium Onion, chopped
    3 Cloves Minced garlic
    2 Cups diced tomatoes
    1 16oz. can kidney beans
    1 packet mild chili powder
    1 packet hot chili powder
    1/4 cup red wine
    1/2 cup beer
    1 tbsp. fresh ground black pepper
    1 tbsp paprika
    2 tbsp. soy sauce
    1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    3 jalapeno peppers
    2 chile peppers
    2 of any other kind of peppers you like
    3 bay leaves
    Salt to taste

1) Heat olive oil in electric fryer and add onion and garlic. Allow to sweat for 1 minute, then add ground beef and soy sauce and fry to about medium (don’t overcook: it will cook more later while simmering).

2) Drain fat and put into large pot (crock pot will also do).

3) Take one jalapeno, and along with the other peppers, carefully slice the skins off, leaving the seeds and stems. After removing, mince the pepper skins and put into pot.

4) Put remaining ingredients into pot and mix well.

5) Take the 2 remaining jalapenos and make a lengthwise slit in each pepper. Place them into the pot and stir them in.

6) Cover pot loosely and simmer on low heat for 2-3 hours, stirring regularly.

7) Remove the slit jalapenos and bay leaves, serve, and get ready for a major gastric event!

I never make it the same way twice and treat this as a rough outline. I think it's important not to overcook the ground beef in the browning process. I've had too much chili where the beef was dry and lifeless. Of course, it's always better the next day! And who says it ain't healthy? It's full of fresh ingredients and cleans you out pretty well! :cool:
  19. Wendy's chili + Taco Bell's "Fire sauce" = mmmm mmmm good! :D
  20. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Every chili cook should just 'wing it' , because chili is improvisational cooking.

Mostly I use the Wick Fowlers 2 Alarm Chili Mix, but I persoanlaize it a little bit.

To 2 pkgs Wick Fowler 2 Alarm Chili Mix add:

2 lbs ground beef (coarse ground if you can)
    1 lb stew meat, cubed
    1 lb chorizo
    1 large red onion, diced
    2 bell peppers, diced (1 red, 1 yellow)
    2 poblano peppers, diced
    2 cans dark red kidney beans
    2 cans black beans
    1 big can (28 oz) crushed or diced tomatoes
    2 cans (15 oz) tomato sauce
    2 cans (8 oz) tomato paste
    serranos to taste

First brown all the meat. You can add more chorizo if you like a little more 'zing'. Last time I used 2 lbs chorizo, because that's how much I had. It rocked.

Drain the meat. Drain it again. And yes, again. That's three times because chorizo, while having a great flavor for any mexican dish, comes with WAY too much grease built in.

Add all the packets in the mix except the masa. Also add the tomato sauce,tomato paste,onions, peppers (NOT the serranos, yet) and two cans of water per the Wick Fowlers Mix. Cook. Stir. Wait.

After the prescribed amount of time, sat half an hour or so, add the masa mixed with just enough water to make a slurry. Stir in the masa slurry.

Then put in the beans. Yes I know Texas Chili isn't supposed to have beans. But putting beans in chili is how you make a pot last longer. And I got used to them being there when I couldn't afford chili to last for only one dinner.

Lower heat. Cover. Simmer, stirring periodically, for a long time. This final simmer is when you add the serranos if you are using canned peppers. If you are using fresh peppers, put them in five minutes before the masa for regular spicy. Ten minutes before the masa for serious spicy.Or add them with the bell peppers for "Oh my God! I can't feel my legs." -spicy.

Garnish with Cheese (Shredded Sharp Cheddar), Chopped onions optional.

Serve with fresh flour tortillas and cold Shiner Bock.

Serve leftovers over Fritos with cheese.