Puttin the low aside, pickin up the devil's tool

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by page, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Ok, I was in two bands. Mercury , a prog band in which I sang and played bass. And Space Machine and the Satanic Mohicans , a drum, bass duo with spacey synths. Well, I just recently quit Mercury and the other one is really just an experiment thing. So, im gettin into this stoner rock thing and Im gettin together a band with some friends that will be a stoner rock band. However I will not play bass in this band , i will play guitar. Heres where my question comes in. I need a new guitar, mine is in the last stages of its life, its dying. Its an Ibanez Gio , and its terrible. My amp is a ****ty Ibanez 10w practice amp. I need an amp too.

Ive been looking at the SXs on Rondomusic.net and I like some of em . The only thing about them is color option, not many choices.
    But anyways, do you guys have any suggestions about what to get, Im into anything thats affordable, sounds good , and looks cool ?

Also , what kinda amp do you suggest for practice and gigging thats also affordable ?

Hows about some cheap, but good sounding pedals??

Thanks folks.
  2. The Eristic

The Eristic Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Cartersville, GA
    What's your total budget? What kind of neck do you like?
  3. Im trying to go under 500$ . As for necks, one thats fast and not bulky, wide, etc.
  4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    amp wise... ii'd go peavey...

guitar... ibanez, again.
  5. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, if you want a good amp, you may need to spend a bit. What you COULD do is this, buy something like this: http://www.rondomusic.net/ppgsc.html

Then you could get an inexpensive solidstate amp, like a crate GFX 212. They are loud and mean sounding. Not the greatest by any means, but it might do what you need.
  6. The Eristic

Mar 19, 2005
    Cartersville, GA
    I'd certainly look into used MIJ Ibanez, if you can dig the "shred" styling of most. A PL1770 (Proline) would be great, and can be had for well under $300 if you keep an eye out. Solid alder quasi-strat body, multi-bound ebony board on an oiled maple neck, medium-thin profile w/ 1 & 5/8" nut. All have color-matched pickguards. Here's mine:

$500 split will make it tough to come out with a good amp, though. Start hitting pawnshops.
  7. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

For an amp, check out a Tech21 Trademark 60. Used, they're about $350.

GREAT tone with many different variations. It's light and very portable. It has a speaker emulated XLR out so it's easy to record or send to the PA.

It's just a well thought out, versatile amp. I've been wanting one for years and finally bought one. I like it so much, I sold my Rivera and Mesa (to fund bass GAS ;)). It's that good of an amp.

8. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Also consider Sovtek heads. You can't beat their price for a tube guitar amp head.

And how about Hamer Guitars import line? My Hamer archtop cost $300 and it's a Les Paul-slayer. I call it the poor mans PRS Santana.
  9. The Eristic

Mar 19, 2005
    Cartersville, GA
    Excellent suggestion. He'll need to factor in a bit of extra cash for a cab, though.
  10. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    For guitar I'd recommend the new Ibanez Hollowbodies.They look like PRS sorta.They would be good with loads sludge distortion for stoner stuff
  11. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    The SX guitars don't have the same mojo as the basses. My guitar player bought a couple of them and they've since been scrapped. Meanwhile my fretless SX jazz is still thumpin.
  12. Ok , I figure ill raise my budget, just gotta wait a few more weeks then.

So I was looking at Godin and Brian Moore guitars. They are decent priced and both make good basses. So Does anyone know about their guitars?????
  13. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    They're both good. They're also both pricier than the other guitar suggestions on here, so keep saving...and keep saving...and keep saving...you get the idea. :eyebrow:

14. Pricier???? The Brian Moores I saw were 350$ and the Godins were 400$ .
  15. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Hehe, from reading your title I instantly thought about the Will Ferrell SNL skit (w/ Garth Brooks). He's dressed up like the devil and plays some mean "Hellish licks" on a strat :)

16. " GOD! Is it humid in here???? It keeps going outta tune!"
  17. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

The Ibanez Artcore models I've played are more Gibson or Gretsch like IMO, and are a definitely worthy option for hollow or semi-hollow too, at around $300 street price. Maybe too "classic" looking for some tastes, I guess?

If you want a decent sounding moderate priced toOb amp, the Peavey Classic 30 meets that description.
  18. The Eristic

Mar 19, 2005
    Cartersville, GA
    I own a few Godins. An LG-SP90, a Glissentar, and a Radiator. All three are outstanding. Play a few and see if you dig the necks (they have a unique feel). Can't really go wrong with their build quality/tone, though. They tend to make for stupendous used deals, too.

Here are a couple of mine, just to GAS you up a little:

19. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    If your upping your budget save yourself some grief and look for a Tele or strat US made used, unlike there basses they have real good resale and our both super versitile. For Amps I'd look at Peavy Classic used for the money, probably the best line of low priced tube stuff, they make a 30 watt that's loud enough for most clubs, you don't need near as much power with gutiar, not as much air to move and distorion is your friend! I just sold one of the reverend gutiar amps they kick ass but I doubt you could find one used for less then 450. The other good low priced amp worth lucking at are the new crate tube amps. Do not go with a SS Modeling amp they sound great in the store but in live sound situations you will quickly tire of there undynamic, genenric, mediocre and pathetic sounds. With Gutiar your better off with one great tone then a thousand wimpy ones, you can always add effects to build on a great sound, but effects will not help a lousy one. I've played gutiar almost as long as I've played bass, over 25 years! Just my two cents!
  20. Just my thoughts. Perhaps, since you said you might be looking to up your budget try a Schecter Classic. I have been lusting over one of these for a couple of weeks now. I have a Telecaster and a SG and that Classic plays better than either of them. The local music store was selling one for $600. Actualy, I would recomend anything by Schecter, they seem like nice guitars and there are a few modern bands with guitarist who play them. The only ones I seem to have found sofar I don't like are their Telecaster models. Of the 4 or 5 that I have played only maybe 1 or 2 of them played very well. Perhaps I might also suggest a Epiphone Dot? If you want to go along the lines of a semi-hollow that is.
    As for the amp, I'm not sure what to tell you there. Thats one of those things I've been wanting, but don't have the money to get (for either bass or guitar). I do have a Marshall DFX15, but that won't help you much, lol. I hope I helped some. If I didn't, well then I'm sorry lol.