1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

putting 4 string P-bass pu's in a 5 string

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rdhbass, Feb 24, 2006.

1. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    I have seen in the past, lower cost 5 strings with the equivalent of a 4 string P-J bass setup and the pickups looked nothing more like a 4 string set. I am building a bass and pondered on this: is it possible to space the P-bass pickups far enough apart, to work on a 5 string bass. The kind of 4 string "P" pu's i am talking about have no exposed pole pieces. thanks. my spacing will be 2 3/4 at the bridge.

2. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    if your P-style p/u utilizes a blade design (vs pole pieces), and those blades extend side to side far enough, you should have no glaring issue.

I have previously utilized a blade style 4-string J p/u in a 5-string bass with reasonable results. I thought it lacked on the B, but this was due to the B being right at the edge of where the p/u was picking it up. Still, it worked on the cheap which is what I was looking ofr at the time

note that "blade style" may not be the most correct terminology for this manufacturing style

of course you could always obtain a 5-string P-style p/u and eliminate any potential issues

All the best,

R