Putting 5 piezos in parallel, one per string, how can I get single string volume controller?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by caladan, Nov 19, 2017.

1. caladan

caladan

Jul 22, 2016
    First question: Could I wire a trimpot and a piezo in series, and then wire 5 of those in parallel? Would I be able to adjust the volume of each piezo element separately?

Second question: Can I use disc pickups with an existing preamp that came with a piezo rod type pickup? Are they similar enough?

Thanks!

- Dan

2. saved

saved

Aug 14, 2012
    greece
    I think you can wire piezo in parallel but not in serries.
    The piezo works like capacitor.
    I tried to wire piezo and magnetic in serries and didnt worked,but in parallel it worked.
    But then i added a second jack,for the easy of use.
    For your second question,i have a cheap china "preamp" in my piezo,that didnt need any battery.
    Is just vol and tone,in pcb,but litlle more complicated,because it has 2 capacitors and one ressistor.
    I cant remember very well what i have done with this,but i have take out the two potentiometers,and is volume at max and tone turned off,and is closed in the control cavity,so i dont have any knobs to mess with and i am dialing the sound from my amps eq.
    So i think if the disk preamp,is a passive one,it will do the work very good