Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Putting a cab on top of a head...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ty McNeely, Jun 15, 2001.

1. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I'm just curious...

Would it damage my Sunn 300T if I put a cab on top of the head?? I'm going to be getting a 2x10 cab before very long, but none of them will sit evenly on top of my 2x15 cab and still allow the head to sit on top. So, would it hurt if I put a 2x10 on the top of my head, or would it damage the tubes?

Probably a stupid question, but I gotta figure out something....

2. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    IMHO the only stupid question is the one that goes unasked, Hunter.

I am not that familiar with the 300T so I found a pix and it doesn't appear to be vented through the top so heat build up shouldn't be a problem.

There are a couple of things you may want to consider ,though. If you have your head and spkr cab in a stack arrangement you may find it to be a little harder to tweek out because you are so close to the speaker that you don't get the true sound because a bass cab doesn't sound the same up real close as it does further out in front of it. To me, one of the big advantages of a seperate head and cab over a combo is that you can get out where you can really hear it to make adjustments. Not a really big thing, but something to consider.

You may find that tilting the cab back sounds better in some rooms and it would be hard to do that with the cab on the head

Considering the weight of the cab, I wouldn't want to put that much weight on top of my head.(how long before someone picks up on that wording?) It might even squish the feet on the head out over a period of time.

Probably wont hurt the tubes but the speaker cab "may" get hotter than you would like.

If it were my rig, I don't believe I would do it.

Hope this helps.

Pkr2

3. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I once saw a bassist put 2 Eden 410s (one ported, one non if you're interested) on top of the road/rack case holding his Eden head/heads (I couldn't get a good look.) Granted he had his head(s) in a case, which by any means would be the only way I'd remotely consider doing this. Not only because that's a lot of weight to put on your head, but I like to be about eye level with my amp so I can easily see to tweek when I need to. That bassist also added a hook to hang a bass on on the side of one of his cabs. I was mortified, you don't drill holes into an Eden cabinet, that's just not right.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your post, you want to put your head inbetween your 2x15 and a 2x10. Is that right? If so then it appears to me that you're adding to vibration since it's coming from both top and bottom. I'm far from being a tube expert, so this might not be right, but I think alot of vibration will eventually hurt your tubes. But that might not be true, and you might not be getting any more vibration than usual.

I don't recommend doing it, but I also say do whatever you want/have to do. I'd look for a stand or table to put the head on, then stack your cabs beside it.

p.s. I've read on here about people who put their 2x10s (or 4x10s) on bottom, and their bigger speakers on top and loving the sound they get. Just some food for thought.

4. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    There are no openings whatsoever in the top of the head. The only openings in the head are the front and the back grills.

Even when played for a fairly long period of time, it doesn't get that hot, anyways.

5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

That could work i suppose, however it still wouldn't solve my problem unless I got a 2x10 small enough that both the 2x10 and the head could go side by side. OR, I guess I could turn the 2x10 on IT'S side, then put the head next to it. Now tell me *THAT* wouldn't be goofy lookin':p:D

6. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    why dont you lay the 2x15 on its side, puting the 2x10 on that then putting your head on top?

that would seem to bee good. you would get maximum floorshaking from the 2x15, then get your projection from the 2x10

7. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    oh yeah, you use a sunn 2x15? how does this sound? i was considering it. so please explain it

8. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

It's a great cab, so far. I've only had it about a month, but its got a great sound. The only gripe I have with it is the mids/highs. I played a Fender BXR-60 (12" driver) before, so I'm used to (and like) lots of mids. Even with the mids completely boosted and the mid-notch engaged, it STILL doesn't have the mids I had before. However, the lows on this thing are INCREDIBLE. Even just slightly boosted on the 300T and it will rattle the windows of your NEIGHBORS house. All in all, a great cab, especially if you're not one for mids/highs.

9. kcm

kcm

Jun 17, 2000
    Woking, Surrey.
    What about the vibration though!! Most amps have rubber feet to take away the vibes but there is nothing like that on the top. I'd beware. What about getting something like a keyboard stand and put the amp on that separately, I'm sure I've seen something out there like that but with less width for an amp

10. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    there is too much risk involved in that setup.

the weight (depending on the 2x10 cab of course but they are all weighing some major Kgs) might be unbearable for your head and it might crush or if it's a wooden box design (a' la' SVT) the joint between the vertical and horizontal panles will weaken and might even loosen up completely (due to vibrations too).

I am not expirienced with tube amps but I was told that once the tubes are warm vibrations can cause them to fail, this is true with every tube gear and thats why you should wait for the tubes to cool after use before you can move the whole amp around.
    this is why many don't even mount their tube amps on the cabs but rather on a floor stand (read as 'chair') to avoid vibration damage to the tubes.

11. i was just watching a Billy Ray Cyrus thing on tv last night with my dad. BRC's bassist had a 4x10 eden cab sitting on top of his eden head(s) but the head(s) were in a rack. i'd be too scared to put a plain head with no protection under neath a heavy cab.

12. Vibration is my primary consideration Another good point was brought up about the cabinet strength of the head itself.

FWIW, my (in construction) rack is going alongside the cabinet because of vibration and I don't want the heavy rack on the cabinet.

13. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    You're wanting to put your head and 2x10 side by side? Why don't you put the head on top of the 2x10 while the 2x10 sits atop your other cab? That seems like the easy, and logical, answer to me.

14. Have you considered putting the 2x10 on the bottom? I know you may not hear it as well, but you never know how that set-up might project. I would try it.

15. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Well, I thought I posted that, but I guess I just THOUGHT I posted it and didn't actually do it.

I thought of building a box for the 2x10 to sit in, then putting holes in the top of the box for the casters on the 2x15 to sit in. However, that would mean having to hoist the 2x15 up EVERY time that I set up, and, like you said, I may not like the sound of it. I suppose I could try that if all else fails.

Thanks to all of you for your help.

And for those of you wondering, I'll most likely NOT put the 2x10 on top of the head.