1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Putting a Date my fender p-bass ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheButler, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Hey guys, I got myself a nice fender p-bass but am clueless as to what date it is from :confused: It has a small fender logo on the headstock and the style of body you would find on the present model ( the pick-ups have been chaged but i guess u wouldn't be able to date the guitar from them anyway)

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    What does the serial number start with? For instance: E3 = 1983.

3. Mabis2012

Mabis2012

Mar 25, 2006
    S= 70's

4. cool man well that was easy :p

5. Osprey

Osprey

Jun 20, 2005
    UK
    See, there's lots of Precisions out there. There are Fenders made by Fender, Fenders made a bit by Fender, Fenders helped by Fender, Fenders pretending to be Fenders and Fenders not made at all by Fender but some say they're better. There are Fenders made by Fender and messed about by someone else, and Fenders not made by Fender but with Fender bits stuck on. Then there are Fenders that aren't Fenders at all. Any of these might be a really good instrument, but we need a few clues if you want an answer. A photo, with good detail of the headstock & serial number would help a lot.

6. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    Have you ever read Plato's republic or Thomas Aquinas? That's what this post reminded me of. And it scared me. :bag:

7. Osprey

Osprey

Jun 20, 2005
    UK
    Have you ever read Plato's republic or Thomas Aquinas? That's what this post reminded me of. And it scared me. "

Rest in peace my son. Just a daft way to say we need a bit of detail.

(how do you do those cool quotes?)

8. I've read those authors and highly recommend both.

You might try sending the whole serial number to Fender Musical Instruments and see what they have in their data base. Back in 1977, even when it was a CBS subsidiary, Fender could peg the manufacture date to the day it was finished and tell you which dealer originally received the instrument. If they can't or will not do that now, it is a shame on them, but it would be worth a try.