1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Putting a distortion pedal INSIDE a bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by autodidact, Jan 7, 2012.

1. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    I was torn between posting this here or in the effects section. My mind tends to wander on slow days here at work and out of the blue I thought..."wouldn't it be cool to have distortion IN your bass in case you don't want things at your feet?"

So TalkBass what say you...theoretically if my cobtrol cavity were large enough ans I were to take the pedal components out of the casing and put them into the cavity, drilling holes for the knobs on the "pedal" would it be possible? Assuming I keep the 9v battery attached to power it?

Strange? I know. But intriguing ;D

2. That would be awesome!!!!!!!!
    Good luck with that bro!!!!

3. Many years ago I played a friend's guitar that had built in distortion. It can be done. Go for it!

4. Works fine until you find a distortion pedal you like more. Then you'll have to do it all over again!

5. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    I do not know what all is out there, but I know EMG makes an overdrive control to go inside the cavity of a bass or guitar...
    I only have seen the advertisements, and looked at it out of novelty. I have never tried one, an I don't really think I need it....but I do know it is out there, and available on ebay..

I don't remember the specifics, but it might require active powersource

6. I used to own a guitar that had been modded with some kind of active circuit powered by a 9-volt battery. There was a small toggle switch on the front to turn it on. It sounded like a solid-state amp with the input on 11, not the nicest distortion in the world but usable for some things. If you put a better circuit with more controls, I bet it could work nicely.

7. I know line 6 came up with a guitar with all the stuff and effects their amps have. I know they run arround 1k+.

8. I want to do this with an Epi Zenith and an Ibanez bass Tubescreamer.

9. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    I'm thinking boss ds-1 as it'll just be me goofing around bass anyway not for gigging that way I get volume tone and gain control :hyper:

10. Gibson used to have the option of buying a E-B0 with a primitive fuzz circuit pre-instaled. So yes it should work out fine... just find a fuzz that you will be continent with because once you install it there's no turning back!!

11. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    People have done stuff like this before. On another forum a guy put an envelope filter in his bass.

12. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    With a little duct tape you could go the Devo route and just tape the pedal to the body! Saves all that drilling.

13. Or you can duct tape your pedals to your guitar strap, kind of like Pancho Villa's bandolier, only more Batman-ish.

14. I lold!!!!

15. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    very interesting... this one looks even cooler

OPTICAL ANALOG Compressor/Limiter- COMPLETE Install kit

if the compressor is actually *good* on bass. I always thought an onboard compressor would make more sense than onboard EQ.

Also looks like it would be pretty easy to build your own pedals using these boards.

16. Stempelloos

Stempelloos

Nov 3, 2008
    Netherlands
  17. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I'd install a Sansamp BDDI with the XLR out and everything.

18. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    A friend of mine glued a delay pedal to the front of his Strat (cheap Squier - you can breathe out now) so he could control the rate and feedback as he played to get those Tom Morello type sounds.

19. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I have thought about this idea too. only things that will be hard is how are you going to keep the battery from draining itself are you going to use a cable to plug the pickups into the pedal then out so it goes to the amp? or what?